How to resolve "While parsing the text event, the end of line character was not found." using GeoEvent Server

Jump to solution
01-24-2017 09:45 AM
LucasScharenbroich
Occasional Contributor

Just getting started with GeoEvent Server and have run into an issue that seems like a misconfiguration on my part.

I have a Hosted ArcGIS Online Feeature Service with point data that I am using as input to the GeoEvent Simulator.  I have a GeoEvent Definition that matches my Feature Class schema.

My GeoEvent service is very simple and is just using the Receive Text from TCP Socket input adaptor and writing the output to Stream Service.

The issue is that the Input Connector does not receive any records when using the GeoEvent Simulator.  If I connect to the TCP Port manually and paste in my CSV record, it works as expected.

I turned on logging on the com.esri.ges.adapter.text.TextInboundAdaptor and I am seeing a repeated DEBUG error of:

While parsing the text event, the end of line character was not found. The left overs ....

Which is followed by a long, concatenated list of the previously sent data.  Looking at the GeoEvent Simulator traffic in Wireshark, I can see that each event is being sent as a separate TCP packet and that, as the debug message states, there is no terminating newline character after each record.  When I am connected manually, I obviously type a newline to send the data and that explains the different behavior I've observed.

The core question is how to configure with GeoEvent Simulator or my Input Connector so that they are happy with each other?  I've tried setting the Message Separator in the Input Connector to blank, but that had no effect.  I've also looked through the help / config documentation for the GeoEvent Simulator, but have not found any place where I can define a message separator for the event stream.

My last resort would be to create a new attribute in my source feature class that I can insert a separator character and get it to appear in the event data payload sent by the Simulator, but that seems quite ... hackish.

Any pointers?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HanochKalmanovich
Esri Contributor

This is a known issue we are planning to resolve with the 10.5.1 release, and with the coming 10.5 Patch 1 release. In the meanwhile, as a workaround, after having the Simulator connected to the service, you can save the events into a CSV file on disk (File->Save As), and have the Simulator load the CSV file.

Please let us know if the save to CSV file workaround works for you.

Attached is a 10.5.1 daily build of the Simulator with this issue fixed.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
HanochKalmanovich
Esri Contributor

Please retest with the 10.5 version of the GeoEvent Simulator - GeoEventSimulator.exe

0 Kudos
LucasScharenbroich
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately the issue remains.  The GeoEvent Server log shows the same error and watching the traffic in Wireshark still shows a lack of newline character in each TCP packet's data payload.

Sending simulation data from a file works so I will use that as an immediate-term workaround.

I did verify that the Wireshark traffic, when the data is sourced from a text file, DOES add the CR LF characters (0x0D 0x0A) as the last two bytes of the packet data. 

0 Kudos
HanochKalmanovich
Esri Contributor

This is a known issue we are planning to resolve with the 10.5.1 release, and with the coming 10.5 Patch 1 release. In the meanwhile, as a workaround, after having the Simulator connected to the service, you can save the events into a CSV file on disk (File->Save As), and have the Simulator load the CSV file.

Please let us know if the save to CSV file workaround works for you.

Attached is a 10.5.1 daily build of the Simulator with this issue fixed.

LucasScharenbroich
Occasional Contributor

Ah, that is a nice behavior of Save As.. to act as a simple export of the Layer features.

Yes.  Saving to a file and then running the file through the Simulator works as expected.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
HanochKalmanovich
Esri Contributor

Please retest with the attached 10.5.1 build of the GeoEvent Simulator, and please let us know if the issue is resolved:

GeoEventSimulator-10.5.1.6600.zip

0 Kudos
LucasScharenbroich
Occasional Contributor

Using a Feature Layer as an Event Source is working correctly with the 10.5.1 Simulator.

Very nice!

0 Kudos