GeoEvent SEL Device Connection

11-10-2020 06:59 AM
GentryEwing1
New Contributor II

I am looking to use GeoEvent Server to get real time data for our transmission assets out in the field.  The device we have that polls Scada is SEL-3530/3530-4.  I am trying to make sure GeoEvent has the capability to connect to the device to poll data frequently.  Here is the list of protocols:

Automation Features

Protocols

Client

DNP3 Serial, DNP3 LAN/WAN, Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP, SEL ASCII, SEL Fast Messaging, LG 8979, IEEE                C37.118, IEC 61850 MMS, CP2179, IEC 60870-5-101/104, SNMP, SES-92, CDC Type II, Courier, IEC 60870-                 5-103, EtherNet/IP Explicit Message Client

Server

DNP3 Serial, DNP3 LAN/WAN, Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP, SEL Fast Messaging, LG 8979, SES-92, IEC                61850 MMS, IEC 60870-5-101/104, IEEE C37.118, FTP, SFTP, CDC Type II, EtherNet/IP Implicit Message                Adapter

Peer-to-Peer IEC 61850 GOOSE, SEL MIRRORED BITS Communications, Network Global Variables (NGVL),                Parallel Redundancy Protocol

Fieldbus

EtherCAT Client

https://cms-cdn.selinc.com/assets/Literature/Product%20Literature/Data%20Sheets/3530_DS_20200224.pdf... < Datasheet for device

Is anyone familiar with this setup?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
EricIronside
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey @GentryEwing1 

Sorry, I haven't worked directly with that product and don't immediately recognize any of the protocols listed.  But you might be able to make it work. Here is what to look for:

1. The interface you get data from should implement one of the standard transports that are OOTB with GeoEvent (HTTP, TCP, UDP, or Kafka).  They could be either Client or Server connection types.

2. The data protocol is a format that is supported by GeoEvent OOTB (JSON, XML, CSV, RSS).

3. If GeoEvent must request the data, the data request provides a way to obtain data without modifying the request parameters (no updated timestamps or expiring session tokens). Ideally each request would also return an updated value, but this is not required.

Hope this helps.

Eric

0 Kudos