GeoEvent 10.5.1 stuck at "Please wait while the field is edited..."

Jump to solution
10-11-2017 11:33 AM
VladimirStrinski
New Contributor II

I am trying to update an attribute and assign a tag to it (in this case TRACK_ID). As soon as I click Save I get the screen "Please wait while the field is edited..." and it has been stuck on it for over half an hour.

Tried different browsers but there was no difference.

What am I missing?

There are times when this just works in seconds, and sometimes I hit this. This is at least the 3rd time it happens - the previous times I ended up completely deleting all input and output adapters and all definitions and ended up rebooting the server, but this should not be the solution...

Screen with "Please wait while the field is edited..." message

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Daniel Cota Chris BeyettVladimir Strinski

This issue is being tracked by Esri Tech Support as BUG-000107723

The GeoEvent Server product team has accepted the bug an is looking at a possible fix for the 10.6.1 product release.

The issue does not appear directly related to the JSON adapter's Learning Mode. It is interesting that the issue's behavior changes in different browser clients with regard to the number of fields beneath a parent. Thank you for that information.

As a work around, for 10.5.1 and likely 10.6, please consider manually creating a GeoEvent Definition which is flat (e.g. no Group elements). You should be able to apply your GeoEvent Tags to this flattened structure and/or change a field's data type to specify, for example, that a value ingested as Double can be handled as a Long integer. Note that you should be using flattened event structures with add/update feature as well as stream service outputs -- both outbound adapters in these cases translate an expected flat event structure into Esri Feature JSON (which is hierarchical) as part of their event record dissemination.

It may also be possible, though much less palatable, to export the GeoEvent Definition which the GeoEvent Manager web application is not allowing a user to edit, use a text editor to edit the XML, delete the original GeoEvent Definition, and import the changes from the altered XML. I would expect anyone interesting in trying this to work with Esri Tech Support as accidentally changing the XML structure will prevent successful XML import and GeoEvent Definition recovery.

- RJ

View solution in original post

19 Replies
VladimirStrinski
New Contributor II

Probably a related observation - this most often happens on auto-generated definitions. I don't remember seeing it happen on a definition that I've created manually.

0 Kudos
ChrisBeyett
Occasional Contributor

Vladimir, 

I've noticed that it occurs on auto-generated definitions, however not all of them. I've noticed mostly it on nested (grouped) JSON. I'm working on narrowing it down to a reproducible pattern and reporting it to Esri Tech Support. However if you have a reproducible case please let us know as we believe it's a bug that wasn't present in the earlier versions.

- Chris

RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Daniel Cota Chris BeyettVladimir Strinski

This issue is being tracked by Esri Tech Support as BUG-000107723

The GeoEvent Server product team has accepted the bug an is looking at a possible fix for the 10.6.1 product release.

The issue does not appear directly related to the JSON adapter's Learning Mode. It is interesting that the issue's behavior changes in different browser clients with regard to the number of fields beneath a parent. Thank you for that information.

As a work around, for 10.5.1 and likely 10.6, please consider manually creating a GeoEvent Definition which is flat (e.g. no Group elements). You should be able to apply your GeoEvent Tags to this flattened structure and/or change a field's data type to specify, for example, that a value ingested as Double can be handled as a Long integer. Note that you should be using flattened event structures with add/update feature as well as stream service outputs -- both outbound adapters in these cases translate an expected flat event structure into Esri Feature JSON (which is hierarchical) as part of their event record dissemination.

It may also be possible, though much less palatable, to export the GeoEvent Definition which the GeoEvent Manager web application is not allowing a user to edit, use a text editor to edit the XML, delete the original GeoEvent Definition, and import the changes from the altered XML. I would expect anyone interesting in trying this to work with Esri Tech Support as accidentally changing the XML structure will prevent successful XML import and GeoEvent Definition recovery.

- RJ

VladimirStrinski
New Contributor II

Chris and RJ - Thanks for the prompt updates!

And yes - I am interested in being able to extract that XML and give this option a shot. If that procedure is documented somewhere can you please point me in the right direction? Feel free to PM me the link if you prefer. If not we can follow up with Tech Support.

Regards,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Variants of this issue were documented by Esri Tech Support under the following:

• BUG-000107723
  • BUG-000111776
  • BUG-000114252

Testing all reported behaviors, it appears that these issues have been addressed in the 10.6.1 release candidate.

VladimirStrinski
New Contributor II

Hello RJ,

Thanks for the update. We're looking to test the solution in 10.6.1.

Unfortunately the suggestion "As a work around please consider manually creating a GeoEvent Definition which is flat (e.g. no Group elements)." does not work for us - the data comes from a third party and we have no control over its structure. We don't have an option to use "no Group elements".

As of 10.6 this issue has been confirmed to still be present.

Regards,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
VladimirStrinski
New Contributor II

Hi Chris - thanks for the quick reply! And yes, I can reproduce it on demand.

You are correct that it happens on 1) auto-generated definitions that have 2) nested (groupped) JSON.

My JSON has two groups - geometry and attributes. When creating the definition I can tell it to look at just the "attributes" group (by putting the name - "attributes" in "JSON Object Name:") and then it doesn't create a nested definition. When it is not nested everything works (but I lose the geometry).

To reproduce it - consume a JSON by subscribing to a web socket. If the incoming JSON has nested attributes I hit this issue.

Regards,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
JulieK
by
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue right now. As per RJ's workaround, I created a flat structure definition but that doesn't seem to work . With the newly created definition, my input doesn't work. Input works with the auto generated definition but I get 'missing TRACK_ID' when publishing stream service . The Flightaware API 

http://flightxml.flightaware.com/json/FlightXML2/SearchBirdseyeInFlight

autogenerated definition

Do I need to create groups in the newly created definition? any thoughts??

Thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Julie -  Apologies for the confusion. When I suggested using a flattened structure, that was after a getting a working hierarchical GeoEvent Definition to ingest the data. The bug we're trying to work around is that a hierarchical event definition, created by an inbound connector's adapter, cannot be edited after it has been created. You still have to use the hierarchical event definition with the configured input to ingest the data. After that you can use a Field Mapper to map the received event record to the simpler (flattened) structure, which you should also be able to edit within the GeoEvent Manager web application. You have to honor the structure used by the data provider to ingest the data; you cannot configure an input to ingest the data in structure you prefer to use.

- RJ

0 Kudos