A New Blog Post on Big Data Aggregation

03-26-2015 09:59 AM
SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor
0 5 2,064

The Big Data team has created a new tutorial on aggregating your big data using GIS tools for Hadoop. You can read the blog post here.

Aggregation is a powerful technique for visualizing your big data, so be sure to check it out!!

5 Comments
SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor
RicardoBarros_Lourenco
New Contributor II

Good approach Sarah!

Any news on raster processing?

Cheers,

Ricardo

SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor

Hi Ricardo - we aren't currently adding raster capabilities to the GIS Tools for Hadoop, but aren't ruling it out either. What kind on analyses are you looking to complete?

-Sarah

RicardoBarros_Lourenco
New Contributor II

I'm interested on calculating NDVI from Landsat images stored on Amazon S3. I've recently accessed a website from ESRI that is calculating NDVI, even with a time series of it (Unlock Earth's Secrets | Esri Landsat ). Do you know how this data is being processed? Does it uses hadoop to do so?

Cheers,

Ricardo

JieZhang
Esri Contributor

Hi Richardo,

I can help Sarah AmbroseSAmbrose-esristaff answer this question. The NDVI processing is implemented using a feature called raster function. The back-end of the image shown in the map is a image service with a series of raster functions - including NDVI - defined. The raster functions are the definitions of processing, when you select the option to apply the NDVI function, the image service returns the on-the-flying processed pixels. This process does not use hadoop.

You can checkout this blog to learn more about raster function on image service. Changing the display of image services dynamically in a Web API | ArcGIS Blog

About the Author
Product Engineer on the GeoAnalytics and Web Analysis teams.