When will ArcGIS for Windows Mobile support ArcGIS Server Image Services

04-14-2013 05:20 PM
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Peoples,

When will ArcGIS for Windows Mobile support ArcGIS Server Image Services?

All our image data is served as ArcGIS Server Image Services (that have a tiled cache) - but these cannot be consumed in ArcGIS for Windows Mobile.

These are the supported data types :
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/windows-mobile/app/index.html#/Supported_layer_and_data_types/00...

Cheers,

Mark
0 Kudos
6 Replies
HenrikSvenningsen
Occasional Contributor
You CAN use your cache as basemaps for Mobile....We are doing that (but only in up to 25x30km if Ortho 10/20 cm resolution, otherwise it's very big for a tablet or Juno)

So our "server guy" makes the cache on the same way as for the ImageServer but for smaller areas.
0 Kudos
MarkChilcott
I want to consume the servive, not copy the data to the hardware device.
0 Kudos
GarrettMoeller
New Contributor III
So I'm confused...
Can we currently use Feature Services in ArcGIS for Windows Mobile similar to the new ArcPad 10.2 ability?
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
You CAN use your cache as basemaps for Mobile....We are doing that (but only in up to 25x30km if Ortho 10/20 cm resolution, otherwise it's very big for a tablet or Juno)

So our "server guy" makes the cache on the same way as for the ImageServer but for smaller areas.

As GEOSTUV03 mentioned above, one way is to make a cache of smaller geographic tiles and load them into each of your devices. This is what I do for local basemaps for collecting data at random places like, hotels, parking lots, shopping malls, etc.

However as AMgmoeller54 mentioned, we may be able to consume the image service directly from our ArcGIS server. I have personally not tried this yet, but here's how I would attempt it.

1. Create an image service on the ArcGIS server.
2. Create an map document and place the service into the map document.
3. Publish the map document as a service.
4. Open Project Center and point to the service of the map document.
5. Load the project onto your devices and see if it works.

Alternatively you can try to just open Project Center and find the image service on your ArcGIS server. Then on your computer/devices you will need to ensure you have internet/network connection to your ArcGIS server so you can stream/download the tiles.

Once again, I have not tried this yet, so I don't know for sure. If you do manage to get something to work, please post back any details.

Regards,

Akhil P.
0 Kudos
kevindevine
New Contributor
Hi, I'm exploring options for utilizing imagery, either as an Image Service, or pre-cached file loaded onto a Juno 3B.  I'm wondering if anyone has successfully created a Imagery Service and consumed the data within a Mobile Device.  If so, my real question is: is it possible to consume the imagery service while connected to an ArcGIS Server with internet connections, then "cache" the imagery service on the handheld, and operate off-line in the field with the temp "cache" still viewable?  
Currently, the workflow of creating small caches of tiles and loading them onto a device is extremely inefficient. 

Thanks in advance!
Kevin
0 Kudos
MarkChilcott
My understanging is that Windows Mobile does not support Image Services.

It does support Map Services.  Subtle difference - if you look at the REST endpoint in ArcGIS Server, you will not they are defined as either  Map Service or an Image Service.

You can place your images in a map document, and serve the map document as a Map Service.  To make it faster, you can create a cache, and therefore have a cached Map Service.  Windows Mobile will support this.

If you have a cached tile dataset, ArcMap can view this as a raster datasource, so you can add the tile cache, to the map document as a raster layer, and then serve this as a Map Service.  If the one tile cache is the only layer in the document, you can create a cache of the Map Service, and just copy the layers of data from the tile cache, into the service cache .....
0 Kudos