Using ArcGIS for Windows Mobile with the Windows sensor/location API

01-15-2013 02:24 AM
TimWroblewski2
New Contributor II
Hi,

A client has recently purchased a new Windows 8 Dell Latitude 10 tablet to use ArcGIS for Windows Mobile on.  Now I know that strictly speaking the official line is that ArcGIS for Windows Mobile is not supported on Windows 8 at present.  However, we have it up and running on another client's tablet also running Windows 8.  The difference between these two devices is the GPS configuration:-

• The device we have it working on is using an external GPS plugged in via USB which is being connected to by ArcGIS for Windows Mobile using a virtual COM port.

• The new tablet from Dell has a built in Broadcom GNSS location sensor with GPS capabilities.  However, it is configured to work with the OS via the Windows sensor/location (Not sure which one) API and as such, is not visible to the ArcGIS for Windows Mobile application which requires a COM port to connect to a GPS.

I guess I have two questions:-

• Has anyone mangaged to get ArcGIS for Windows Mobile to connect to a GPS using the Windows sensor/location API?

• If not, then does anyone know how to create a virtual COM port which relays the data from the built-in Broadcom GNSS location sensor via the Windows sensor/location API?

I really appreciate any time that people are able to put towards helping me out!  I'm a little but stuck!

Thanks,

Tim
66 Replies
TimWroblewski2
New Contributor II
Just to let people know I've this morning tried the Dell Latitude 10 tablet with the latest version of ArcGIS for Windows Mobile (10.1.1) and I have still had no luck.  This latest version of the software from ESRI still requires a COM port for communication with the GPS. 

Tim
0 Kudos
NickKopczyk1
New Contributor III
Some updates and some reading for those of us stuck with these devices/problems.

It turns out that I have an Android tablet with the exact same chip as my Lenovo.  It is definitely GPS enabeled (I used it to help test my Lenovo TP2).  I'm still working my way through Lenovo tech support but no answers yet.  I'm assuming the line will be that they're not supporting that function of the chip, but I'll update when I know more (in a week...).
http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/cracking-open-asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime/6343522?seq=46

Probably more interesting is this blog post from some Intel guy about programming for windows location API and determining where the signal is coming from.  You programmers (or team ArcPad) out there might just be able to create a virtual COM from the location API and pass usable data to it with these guidelines.
http://software.intel.com/node/326806

For now, I've dug out my old Dell BT GPS's (or use my Android phone) to give me a location in the field, but it sure would be nice to have an all-in-one solution in the field someday from these devices.
0 Kudos
KenSenter
New Contributor

Speaking of which, I was digging through the driver from the Dell website and I noticed references to the BCM4751 and a driver called BcmGnssBus.sys which it says: BcmGnssBus.sys - ACPI/UART&GPIO Driver wrapper exposes ACPI/UART driver
    as COM22 for BcmGnss.dll
Which to me sounds promising, but unfortunately I can't get my hands on the tablet.  The guys using it need it every day.  So I can't mess around with it anymore.

So I happened to get my hand on the tablet again, and I see that the driver I mentioned above "BcmGnssBus.sys" is in fact installed under "System Devices" as "Broadcom GNSS Bus Driver".  So that document I read earlier said it exposes the driver as COM22 for BcmGnss.dll.  I did a search for BcmGnss.dll and I see it in "C:\Program Files\Broadcom\Location\BcmgnsslocationSensor\x86" along with the other driver files, but most interesting is an xml file that looks really interesting.  In the xml file it talks about things like baud rate, port name, and the different jobs that can be performed by the GPS controller.  I wish I knew more about this stuff, then I'd have an idea of what I'm looking at.  Anybody with a Latitude 10 know more about this, and why it doesn't actually show up as com22?
0 Kudos
DanMallett
Esri Contributor
Hi I'm having the exact same issue.  The client is very excited about their new Dell Latitude tablets with built in GNSS however it can't communicate with ArcGIS for Windows Mobile.
0 Kudos
DanMallett
Esri Contributor
I had the latitude 10 and I just sent them back and am ordering a lenovo to replace it.  Hopefully those work better..

From what I understand the Lenovo has the same problem.  I think the real solution here is for Esri to update the application to use Windows Location Services.
0 Kudos
PaulMorrison1
New Contributor
Its a problem with windows 8 and its API.  ArcPad and Mobile need to grab a COM port in order to read the data.  The Dell only lists a sensor for the GPS unit in the device manager where Lenovo actually lists a COM port.  I was on the phone with denise from ESRI last week and the lenovo they are testing actually is working.

I own a Lenovo with the Broadcom sensor and it does not have a COM port driver.  However, the Sierra Wireless version appears to support the com port.  It all boils down to which version and model number...
0 Kudos
DarioMatta
New Contributor
Hi,
I have the same problem with a customer who bought a samsung smart ativ pc with the same broadcom chip that is written above.
I had the same problem by developing an application with Arcgis Engine 10.
The problem, as some of you have written, is due to Windows 8 and the change of access that makes the sensors. Even Arcgis Desktop installed on these computers has no way to display the GPS.
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Where/how can we get the "Sierra Wireless" version of this machine?

Bill - you need to purchase the Mobile Broadband option with voice/data plan from wireless provider.

Denise
0 Kudos
TimWroblewski2
New Contributor II
Bill - you need to purchase the Mobile Broadband option with voice/data plan from wireless provider.

Denise

Yea that's what I have on order, but I had never heard of the "Sierra Wireless" version and wondered if it was different than the one I had coming.  Gave up on the Dell, hopefully this one will work out.

I'm in the process of giving up with Dell too - Just trying to negotiate the restocking fee down!  Denise62 and young_mossy; are either of you ordering or ordered from Lenovo from the UK?  When completing the online checkout process directly with Lenovo I have the option to select a 3G version of the tablet (See attached screen grab) but there is no mention of Sierra Wireless - Just an 'Integrated Mobile Broadband (Ericsson C5621)' - Will this version have a GPS built-in and, crucially, will it communicate with the OS and software installed via COM port?

Many thanks,

Tim

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22431[/ATTACH])
0 Kudos
PaulMorrison1
New Contributor

Yes.  I should have been more clear.  The model with mobile broadband has the sierra adapater.  I purchased the Wifi only model and it only has the Broadcom chipset.
0 Kudos