Updating domains

03-07-2012 10:26 AM
TysonJohnston
Occasional Contributor
We have an ArcSDE workgroup geodatabase using SQLExpress on an Amazon EC2 AMI.  A typical workflow is for users to collect data (GPS pts, lines, polys and a limited number of attributes) on the Trimble mobile device (we are using Nomad 900's and JunoSB's), post edits to the server, create a check-out replica on their PC in ArcMap, edit data from field collection, save, and then synchronize local edits with server.

We deal with ecological data, so we plan to update, on a monthly basis, the 7-8 domains containing the species we deal with.  My question is, when we update these domains in ArcCatalog on the Amazon AMI, will the updates be carried over to the Trimble mobile devices when users use the "Get Data" function?

If not, and we update the domains anyways, the users will see the updated domains on their PC's when using the check-out replicas, correct?  Will the difference in the contents of the domains cause an issue?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Tyson
0 Kudos
1 Reply
StephenDickinson
Esri Contributor
I'm fairly certain that new subtypes in your geodatabase would not appear in the mobile cache when synchronisation occurs.  The subtypes are held in the mapschema.bin file of the mobile cache which does not get updated after the cache is created.

A new version of the cache would need to be created in order to have knowledge of a new subtypes held in the geodatabase.  I think a mismatch between the subtypes held in the geodatabase and those in the mobile caches would cause issues.
0 Kudos