Trimble Positions Thread - Post Here

11-26-2012 06:46 AM
DaveChamberlin
New Contributor II
I wanted to start this thread as a place for questions.  I have been working with Trimble quite a bit to get this figured out.  Mostly on being able to switch from Analyst to Positions.  It seems like Trimble hasn't caught up to ESRI and the service pack yet, so they have workarounds for compatibility.  Lets hear some of your stories with the new software.
0 Kudos
97 Replies
VickyYoung1
New Contributor II

I am running Arc 10.2 with Arcpad 10.0 so had to upgrade from the Trimble GPS Correct and Analyst to the Trimble Positions.

I am no longer able to post-process my data using an established base station data (set up by adding records from a user list acquired by our software provider). The base station information is downloaded from an ftp site but I am no longer able to download the data.

The Details are that: "The remote sever returned an error: 227 Entering Passive Mode" and the differential correction fails because "No base data file found".

I have been working with our software provider's tech support who seems to think it is something to do with our server blocking the ftp but we did not have problems prior to updating to Trimble Positions.

I thought I would post on here to see if other users encountered this problem,

Thank you,

0 Kudos
jmmGeoToo
New Contributor II

Hi Vicky...

First step of troubleshooting would be to try copying and pasting the URL into a browser and seeing if you can download the files that way. If that works, you can always create a post processing profile that uses the local files as a workaround.

-jmm

0 Kudos
DeanAnderson
New Contributor

Vicky,

If you haven't solved the Passive Mode issue, check your antivirus software, that is what was causing that error for us.

0 Kudos
MichaelMarcus
New Contributor III

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this questions but here goes...

I'm trying to check in an ssf file into ArcMap 10.2 using Trimble Position Desktop Add-in 10.3.0.2. I was able to check in two of the three projects that were transferred from the Trimble Geo 7 unit using TerraSync software. The third ssf file returns an error message.

Can someone explain what this means and how I might resolve this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jmmGeoToo
New Contributor II

Michael...

In all likelihood, that error is a result of using generic features in the SSF. Unfortunately, this TerraSync option isn't currently supported in the Positions workflow.

As a reminder, this thread is probably not the most efficient way of getting support for Trimble Positions. It's only monitored by Trimble on an ad-hoc basis. Your Trimble Reseller continues to be the front-line for support along with information provided on the Trimble website and on http://positionsblog.trimble.com/.

MGIS Support Options

Regards,

Matt

0 Kudos
MichaelMarcus
New Contributor III

Matt,

I did use a few generic features while mapping. I came across a few unexpected items that needed to be collected for clarity that were not apart of my DDF. I will add a few "misc" features in my data dictionary to cover such situations.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
MilesThompson
New Contributor III

I made a separate "MiscGeneric" geodatabase, that has a point, line and polygon feature class, all with a bunch of fields that are similar to the data in my main geodatabase. I put them in every one of my projects and DDFs, so that when I do come across unexpected things in the field, I can at least get them marked and have some range of fields available to fill in about them.

I wish I could remove the default ones in TerraSync, but as long as you name the Generic ones different enough for you to know which one is which, then there isn't much confusion.

0 Kudos
AlisonWalker
Occasional Contributor

Just FYI, you can remove the default ones from TerraSync using TerraSync Studio in the later versions of Pathfinder Office. Of course if you’re just using Trimble Positions, then you probably wouldn’t invest in Pathfinder Office for that one piece of functionality.

Alison

0 Kudos
JoelSabin
New Contributor III

I am using Trimble Positions with ArcGIS 10.2.2. It has been working fine.

When I tried to do some recent post corrections, I got an error message:

“The ArcMap.exe.config file is missing the necessary modifications. Post processing cannot continue. Please re-install Trimble Positions or consult the documentation for making the changes manually.”

Would anyone know why this came up? We have recently moved our ArcGIS license manager to a new server. That is the only change I can think of that might be related.

0 Kudos
AlisonWalker
Occasional Contributor

Hi Joel,

Not sure why that would happen just from moving the license manager, but the release notes for Positions do address this error, and this fix might work for you? I’ve also found that just reinstalling Positions sometimes does the trick, and that might be easier.

During the installation process, the Trimble Positions Desktop add-in installer attempts to modify the ArcMap.exe.config file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop 10.1\bin folder. Depending on permissions, this can sometimes silently fail… manually edit the ArcMap.exe.config file (using a suitable text editor, for example, Microsoft® Notepad) to make the

<!<supportedRuntime version="v4.0.30319"/>>

Alison

0 Kudos