Trimble Positions Thread - Post Here

11-26-2012 06:46 AM
DaveChamberlin
New Contributor II
I wanted to start this thread as a place for questions.  I have been working with Trimble quite a bit to get this figured out.  Mostly on being able to switch from Analyst to Positions.  It seems like Trimble hasn't caught up to ESRI and the service pack yet, so they have workarounds for compatibility.  Lets hear some of your stories with the new software.
0 Kudos
97 Replies
AlisonWalker
Occasional Contributor

I haven’t seen this one. Do you get the same message with other ArcPad projects? Have you tried an uninstall/reinstall?

Alison

0 Kudos
AngelaGruber
New Contributor II

Hi Alison,

I just got off the phone with ESRI ArcPad support and they had me move my project to a new folder location.  I moved it to my desktop and it seemed to work.

Also, my apologies to everyone reading this thread as I just realized I posted an ArcPad issue on the Trimble Positions thread.

0 Kudos
DennisTumberg1
New Contributor II

We are using Trimble Postions 10.2.1.1 with ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.2.1, after creating the Mobile Cache with Positions Desktop add-in 10.3.0.2.

I don't have a problem creating the mobile cache and deploying it to the field, however when I Synchronize the Mobile Cache after collecting, I get the error:  "Error posting updates for TrimbleSessions layer."  All of the collected features are automatically posted to the geodatabase, but we want to be able to see the point clouds associated with each feature.  We have the project set up for Real-Time Corrections + Post-Processing.  I can't even see that there was a session at all.

Is there a setting I need to change, or is someone else experiencing the same issue?

Here is the entire Message window:

Executing: SynchronizeMobileCache R:\GIS\GPS\xxx.mxd "R:\GIS\GPS\. . . ." UPLOAD_CHANGES DOWNLOAD_CHANGES 'User Identity for Field Collection';ControlPoints_GPS;Guardrail_points_GPS_WGS84;TrimbleSessions #

Start Time: Wed Jun 17 14:20:16 2015

Synchronizing User Identity for Field Collection layer.

Synchronized User Identity for Field Collection layer successful.

Synchronizing ControlPoints_GPS layer.

Synchronized ControlPoints_GPS layer successful.

Synchronizing Guardrail_points_GPS_WGS84 layer.

Synchronized Guardrail_points_GPS_WGS84 layer successful.

Synchronizing TrimbleSessions layer.

Error posting updates for TrimbleSessions layer.

Succeeded at Wed Jun 17 14:20:21 2015 (Elapsed Time: 4.20 seconds)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jmmGeoToo
New Contributor II

This could be due to an issue with the spatial index. Try removing the spatial index on TrimbleSessions and re-attempting the sync.

As a note to others who read this thread, I'd suggest using your Trimble dealer and Trimble Support as your front lines for Trimble Positions questions, ahead of posting here. I don't believe this forum is monitored regularly by Trimble although you can certainly make the argument it should be.

0 Kudos
DennisTumberg1
New Contributor II

I did remove the spatial index, but the only thing that changed originally was that I received a message stating:

"Check finished; No available sessions.

1 session in other projects remain."

I tried checking in all of the projects that I have worked on, and finally was able to see other sessions, but had no luck actually seeing the session points as we should.  I just saw the polygon in the TrimbleSession Feature Class.

This morning, after shutting down PC last night, I was able to see the new Session, but I still have 8 sessions I am unable to see.  They are all from last Friday in the same project.  ArcGIS Mobile/Trimble Positions errored out several times and closed the program, which explains the multiple sessions.  However I can't actually see the sessions as I am supposed to through the Trimble Positions Desktop add-in, I just see the features in the feature class.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI - I am in contact with a Support Technician also.  She wanted to make sure I am checking it back in with the same MXD, which isn't the issue since I have been using the same MXD for all of the mobile caches I have created for this type of project.

0 Kudos
IsaacGant
New Contributor

Hello All,

We are having an issue with the User Identity layer in a Mobile Project not functioning properly on a certain device.  Using Trimble Positions Desktop Add-in 10.3.0.2, Trimble Positions Mobile Extension (and Mobile Project Center Extension) 10.2.1.1, and ArcGIS Mobile Project Center 10.2.1.0 to create a Mobile Project using Mobile Services that were published from a Server Enterprise Geodatabase via ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.2. The device that is having the issue is a Trimble Geo7x Handheld unit with ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.2.500 installed. We have setup a User ID feature class layer that is meant to record the Identity of the user that is collecting data for that current session. Whenever we open the project on the Trimble Geo7x unit, the system never prompts the user to select or create their Identity and then opens the project for data collection.  If we open the project with ArcGIS for Windows Mobile (Version 10.2.1.0) on our desktops or Windows tablets (both run Windows 7) then the User ID layer works perfectly, prompting the user to select their identity or create one if they are a new user. Normally the program would not let the user continue to the project without selecting or creating their identity first. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

0 Kudos
jmmGeoToo
New Contributor II

Isaac...  Just to remove Positions from the equation, do you get the same behavior if you create a mobile project using a mobile cache that does NOT have a TrimbleSessions layer and use that on the Windows Mobile device? You can also temporarily move the PositionsMobileExtension.ame file out of the \Program Files\ArcGIS Mobile\10.2.1\ folder to prevent the field-side extension from loading. You will get a prompt saying it can't be found as the .amp file still references it.

0 Kudos
IsaacGant
New Contributor

Hey J.  - Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I did what you suggested and created a mobile cache from the same enterprise database dataset that was used to publish the mobile services but I left out the TrimbleSessions layer.  When loaded onto the Trimble Geo7x and loaded into ArcGIS for Windows Mobile it prompted me for a User Identity. So it does look like the issue seems to be stemming from the TrimbleSessions/Positions.

0 Kudos
jmmGeoToo
New Contributor II

No worries. I'll take a look to see if something changed in a recent release. I believe it used to work although truthfully I haven't looked at that functionality in a long while.

-matt

0 Kudos
IsaacGant
New Contributor

Hey Matt -  I have just resolved the issue and I'm still honestly not sure how/why this could be the cause.  The problem was stemming from the fact my original mobile project (with Mobile Services and Trimble Sessions) had a basemap attached to it, but the basemap file was not deployed onto the actual device with the project.  When I would open the project on the device it would prompt me with an error stating "Could not locate basemap" before opening the project for data collection. It occurred to me this morning that this was the only variable I had failed to replicate when troubleshooting the issue.  Once I re-deployed the project after fixing the basemap issue, the User Identity layer functioned perfectly.

0 Kudos