New to ArcGIS Mobile Questions

Jump to solution
08-30-2012 07:02 AM
DavidHodge
New Contributor
I am looking into implementing Arc Mobile into my company and I have a few questions:

We work with heavy machinery in areas without cell-phone service, so there is no access to the arc servers.  Is it possible to transfer collected data from one mobile device to many without the servers?  I have read posts where it is possible to do this between one mobile device and one computer, but I could not find if it was possible to do it between many mobile devices (10-20).

Also, if I were to collect a polyline within Arc Mobile, is it possible to edit an existing polygon within a layer?  For example, I have a simple polygon displayed on my Trimble Juno and I create a new line extending from it with my GPS.  Is it possible to edit that original polygon and extend it so that it follows the new line?

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CiprianLazar
New Contributor III
I think that you could create a mechanism for transferring data from one device to another using the WriteDiffGram and ReadDiffGram methods of the MobileCache. You could use WriteDiffGram to write the changes from one cache to a local file on the device, then copy that file to another device (using bluetooth) and use ReadDiffGram on that device to import the changes. However, I do not know what's gonna happen when you will synchronize both devices with the server. I think that you could end up doubling the features. If that's the case, you will have to do a little post processing to delete some features.
I should mention that I tried using the WriteDiffGram method and it failed with an OutOfMemory exception when I had a large number of added features.

Regarding you second question, it is possible to edit any feature in your mobile cache. You can add, modify or delete individual points in any geometry (if your feature layer is prepared for editing). You have the tools you need in the API.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CiprianLazar
New Contributor III
I think that you could create a mechanism for transferring data from one device to another using the WriteDiffGram and ReadDiffGram methods of the MobileCache. You could use WriteDiffGram to write the changes from one cache to a local file on the device, then copy that file to another device (using bluetooth) and use ReadDiffGram on that device to import the changes. However, I do not know what's gonna happen when you will synchronize both devices with the server. I think that you could end up doubling the features. If that's the case, you will have to do a little post processing to delete some features.
I should mention that I tried using the WriteDiffGram method and it failed with an OutOfMemory exception when I had a large number of added features.

Regarding you second question, it is possible to edit any feature in your mobile cache. You can add, modify or delete individual points in any geometry (if your feature layer is prepared for editing). You have the tools you need in the API.
0 Kudos
IndraBisen
New Contributor III
Dear David,

As mentioned by Ciprian Lazar both the things are possible very well with ArcGIS Mobile but you have to develop the custom application using ArcGIS Mobile SDK or have to customize the ArcGIS Mobile application provided by ESRI. Their is no out of the box facility is available with ArcGIS Mobile application for your issues.

regards

indra bisen
0 Kudos
DavidHodge
New Contributor
Thank you both for the responses.  I think I understand how to do these things now.
0 Kudos