Mobile Cache in 10.1

10-10-2011 08:05 AM
AngelGonzalez
Occasional Contributor II
I have read that 10.0 is the last release supporting publishing MXDs. Since creating a mobile cache requires "Mobile Data Access" capability and MSDs does not allow this capabilbity does anyone know how we will create mobile cache for our current mobile apps??????????
0 Kudos
6 Replies
StephenDickinson
Esri Contributor
...Since creating a mobile cache requires "Mobile Data Access" capability and MSDs does not allow this capabilbity...

In ArcGIS Mobile 10 we have successfully published MSDs with "Mobile Data Access" enabled.  However, we had to revert to using MXDs as raster data was not extracted into the mobile cache when using MSDs.
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Steve,

Have you submitted the obstacle you encountered with raster data not being extracted into the mobile cache when using MSDs on ArcGIS Beta Community website? If you haven't already, please submit a bug report under the ArcGIS for Windows Mobile Beta program so the Mobile Team can review and respond accordingly.

Thank you,
Denise
0 Kudos
StephenDickinson
Esri Contributor
Hi Steve,

Have you submitted the obstacle you encountered with raster data not being extracted into the mobile cache when using MSDs on ArcGIS Beta Community website? If you haven't already, please submit a bug report under the ArcGIS for Windows Mobile Beta program so the Mobile Team can review and respond accordingly.

Thank you,
Denise

Hi Denise,

Sorry, I forgot to add that this was using ArcGIS Mobile 10 (I've updated my original post to mention this).  I haven't checked this in 10.1 beta yet.

Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
At ArcGIS Mobile 10, we support MXDs. Support for MSDs will be included in ArcGIS for Windows Mobile 10.1 release.

Denise
0 Kudos
AngelGonzalez
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Steve,

Just wondering how you created a mobile cache in 10 using the MSD.  I created the service (MSDPublish.jpg & MSDPublish2.jpg) that allows me to select the "Mobile Data Access". But when I view the capabilities in ArcGIS Server Manager for the service, the "Mobile Data Access" is not shown (MSDcapabilities.jpg) but when you expand the service in the listing (MSDcapabilities2).jpg you see it. When I tried using the toolbox to generated the mobile cache it does not allow me to select a MSD service.

Thanks
0 Kudos
StephenDickinson
Esri Contributor
Hi,

The reason we were able to create a mobile cache from a published MSD is that we used the SDK to create the mobile cache rather than the GP tool.  However, as far as I know, the SDK only allows connections to data via a mobile data access enabled map service (not directly via MXD / MSD).

Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos