Missing ArcGIS registry key

09-18-2012 03:57 PM
LisaT
by
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,
I believe this is a dependency issue, so may not be WPF specific...The computer that I am trying to deploy on has no ESRI products installed.  It is an application for our guys in the field with little network connectivity, and thus no access to our GIS server.  I am thinking that I am missing an install or .dll somewhere, so even if you have no experience with WPF specifically, you may still be able to take a stab at this!

I have a WPF application that I am trying to deploy.  It is using mobile mapcache for the map.  The map works fine on my computer, but when I try to deploy it to another computer I receive an error.

In order to troubleshoot, I have loaded visual studio and the project onto the computer in question.  In visual studio, when looking at the control, I get an error that it cannot create it...specifically: "Cannot create an instance of "Map".".  The "Map" that it is referring to is an instance of the map control created with ESRI.ArcGIS.Mobile.WPF (a member of the ESRI.ArcGIS.Mobile assembly). Intellisense works, so it seems as if it is there.  No errors that it cannot find the reference.

If I publish the project, or run it from the deployment package, the error that is returned in the browser says "Initialization of 'ESRI.ArcGIS.Mobile.WPF.Map' threw an exception", specifically "XamlParseException" was unhandled.

and "Missing ArcGIS registry key" is also mentioned

I have seen some blogs about "Missing ArcGIS registry key" being related to the cpu platform not being set properly...I have tested this by creating the app as a stand-alone WPF app and setting the CPU to 86x...same problem.

Any ideas?
4 Replies
LisaT
by
OK, well I have figured out that installing ArcGis Mobile fixes it.  I guess it is not sufficient to add the dll's into the deployment package to be deployed on the field server.  IN ADDITION, I am having to download ArcGis Mobile onto EVERY client computer that views the website.  If anyone knows of any way around this or can point me to a tutorial about how to properly package the dlls so that they are loaded on the server during deployment...or can point me to a tutorial about how to behind-the-scenes install the dlls onto the client computer when the first open the website, that would be really helpful!  These field guys are not real computer savvy and are not going to want to mess with a bunch of computer configurations.
Thanks
0 Kudos
CiprianLazar
New Contributor III
If you don't want to, you do not have to install the ArcGIS Mobile Application on the target computers for your own application to work, but you must install the ArcGIS Mobile Runtime library. You can find instructions for deploying your application here. It's mentioned there that
Included with the ArcGIS Mobile SDK is a sample for deploying your own ArcGIS Mobile based application on the Windows platform. The Windows sample will build a MSI installer that includes a sample application and the ArcGIS Mobile runtime required to run ArcGIS Mobile based application on Windows platform. The instructions on how to build and use the sample are included in the SDK.
I'm not sure which one is that sample (could be Walkthrough_WPF.zip) but you should look at the samples in the folder C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Mobile10.0\DeveloperKit\Samples\MobileApplications (or where you installed ArcGIS Mobile on your development machine).
0 Kudos
LisaT
by
Thanks for your response!
I think that the problem may be that the help files on the website are out of date.  The tutorial that you pointed me to wants me to add "ESRIMobile92.dll" to my project...I am guessing that this was available for the 92 version of ArcGIS Mobile, and we are now on 10.  When I look in "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Mobile10.0\bin", I do not see "ESRIMobile92.dll".  I have tried attaching all of the .dlls that are in this folder to my application...and the app still did not work when deployed.  So, if "ESRIMobile92.dll" is not available, which files do I attach so that this will deploy correctly?

The only ArcGISruntime downloads that I can find are CAB files to install on the mobile device...I do not see a setup for a windows application.  The CAB files are in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Mobile10.0\Install" folder.

I have gone through the samples in the "MobileApplications" folder, as well as the "ApplicationFramework" and do not see an example with a deployment package.  I used "Walkthrough_WPF" to help me to create this application months ago, and thus have the same .dlls appended to my application. 

Am I missing something?
0 Kudos
IndraBisen
New Contributor III
Hi,

I had similar kind of issue but with Windows Forms application. Right now I'm unable to remember exact DLL name (may be pe.dll) but you can try to add DLLs available in  C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Mobile10.0\Bin  folder.

regards

Indra Bisne
0 Kudos