Create non-rectangular mobile cache

09-12-2011 01:51 AM
BerendVeldkamp
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,

Is it possible to create a non-rectangular mobile cache from ArcMap? I already tried to:

1. Use clipping on the map, but the CreateMobileMap_mobile tool seems to ignore this

2. Use a definition query: Based on the area, I select the objectid's, and create a query such as 'objectid in (1,2,3, ...). This works for small sets, but since the definition query's textbox has a maximum of 30,000 characters, larger sets don't.

Any other ideas?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
StephenDickinson
Esri Contributor
Hi,

Is it possible to create a non-rectangular mobile cache from ArcMap? I already tried to:

1. Use clipping on the map, but the CreateMobileMap_mobile tool seems to ignore this

2. Use a definition query: Based on the area, I select the objectid's, and create a query such as 'objectid in (1,2,3, ...). This works for small sets, but since the definition query's textbox has a maximum of 30,000 characters, larger sets don't.

Any other ideas?

Hi,

I don't think it is possible to create a mobile cache using non-rectangular extents.

However, if the goal is to create a mobile cache that more closely approximates the outline of the area you need data for, you could build the cache using the SDK.

Using the SDK you could build the cache requesting many different rectangular extents.  This could give you a better fit to the area you want to base the cache on.

Unfortunately, I think you have to use the SDK, as I don't think the GP tool will allow you to do this as it will create an entirely new mobile cache each execution.

Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos
BerendVeldkamp
Occasional Contributor II
And by SDK you mean the Mobile SDK I think? Yeah, would work in some cases, but is there a way to make that work without ArcGIS Server? Right now I'm using ArcMap with the Mobile Toolbox.
0 Kudos
StephenDickinson
Esri Contributor
Hi,

Yes, you would need to use the ArcGIS Mobile SDK which currently, as far as I know, needs to work against a mobile enabled map service provided by ArcGIS Server.

Using the create mobile cache GP tool in the toolbox creates an entirely new mobile cache each execution, which means you can't use it to incrementally build up a larger cache over several executions.

Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos