Arc Desktop v.10 -- Mobile Cache

08-10-2010 06:44 AM
AlexProtyagov
New Contributor
Does anyone know how to make a mobile cache file in the Arc Desktop ? The idea is to make cache in the Arc Desktop and then save cache files to a device.
There are some posts online on how to do that in 9.xx version but can not yet find anything about newer version of the desktop.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
DarleneBanta
New Contributor
If you run the Mobile installer, Mobile GP tools are installed.  You can add the Mobile Tools toolbox in Catalog and run the Create Mobile Map GP tool.
0 Kudos
AlexProtyagov
New Contributor
Thank you, found it and was able to make the cache file.
0 Kudos
BillRose
New Contributor III
Thank you, found it and was able to make the cache file.

Alex,

Were you able to deploy this cache to your device? I can use this tool to create the MobileCache folder and contents, but then run into problems when trying to open the .wmpk file. The problem is similar to that described here: http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=38116, though my desktop is XP. The work-around described at this link works for my desktop ArcGIS Mobile app, but does not permit deployment to a Windows Mobile device as far as I can determine.

-Bill
0 Kudos
BillRose
New Contributor III
I eventually got this to work by copying the tile cache to the memory card on the mobile device, unpacking the .wmpk file, and then modifying the TileCacheMapLayer element of the .amp file to look like this:

<TileCacheMapLayer name="Layers" cacheDirectory="\SD-MMC card\My Documents\ArcGIS Mobile\Basemap1" visible="True" />

Hope this helps someone. I don't understand why Mobile Project Center doesn't manage this, or why this is not better documented.
0 Kudos
AlexProtyagov
New Contributor
All I did in ArcDeskop is the cache, it produces 3 files. In my particular situation it will be used only to show background. So, I just put that onto SD card and in my mobile application opened connection to it and added all layers from cache to my map.
0 Kudos
BillRose
New Contributor III
All I did in ArcDeskop is the cache, it produces 3 files. In my particular situation it will be used only to show background. So, I just put that onto SD card and in my mobile application opened connection to it and added all layers from cache to my map.

Alex,
How did you create the connection to your SD card? Mobile Project Center seems to require a mapped drive. And I don't see an option for creating a mapped drive to my device.

I see it is possible to do something like the following.

C:\Documents and Settings\<my login>\My Documents\WM_<my login> My Documents\ArcGIS Mobile\Layers

Is this what you did?

Bill
0 Kudos
MaximilianGlas
Esri Contributor
0 Kudos
BillRose
New Contributor III
Here you find a video showing the procedure: http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/video/arcgis-mobile/details?entryID=85FA839A-1422-2418-882A-E114...

Yeah, I've seen this, and the other Mobile-related videos too. It shows how the application is supposed to work. But it doesn't address the specific problem discussed here.
0 Kudos
BerendVeldkamp
Occasional Contributor II
A bit late perhaps, but if someone runs into this issue, here's how to solve the problem on Windows Mobile.

After copying the wmpk to your mobile device, try to open it by clicking on it. ArcGIS Mobile wil open and ask where you want to save it (let's say, on the storage card). Then it will complain that it cannot find the mapcache. It will however create a project folder in "\Storage Card\My Documents\ArcGIS Mobile", which in turn contains a MapCache folder. Copy the mapcache (bin, db, journal) there and try to open the project again.
0 Kudos