Any way of creating SDC base maps?

04-14-2010 08:59 AM
StephenDickinson
Esri Contributor
Hi,

I have noticed that the geoprocessing tool to create a mobile base map, present at 9.3 and 9.3.1, has been removed at ArcGIS 10.  This tool allowed the creation of highly compressed vector data base maps in the SDC format.

I understand that you can now produce an ArcGIS Server tile cache to create mobile compatible base maps.  However, this data is in raster format.

Is there any way of creating the SDC format resulting from the create a mobile base map tool present in previous versions?

Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos
8 Replies
josephberry
New Contributor
Did you manage to find out the answer?
0 Kudos
StephenDickinson
Esri Contributor
No, nothing back yet. 

If you have access to 9.3 I assume you could still use the geoprocessing tool to create SDC data and then use that with 10 mobile.

Otherwise, all basemap data (vector or raster) would have to either exist in a mobile cache or as an AGS tile cache.
0 Kudos
StephenDickinson
Esri Contributor
I've found this:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobile/10.0/help/index.html#/Adding_Street_Maps/007v0000000z000000/

However, I've not been able to locate the "Street Map for Mobile" application.  Will this be released at the same time as ArcGIS 10?
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Yes, StreetMap for Mobile will be released along with ArcGIS Mobile 10 final release. It is recommended customers obtain the physical media for StreetMap for Mobile data as each vendor/version is nearly 2GB in size.
* Tele Atlas North America (USA & Canada)
* Tele Atlas Europe
* NAVTEQ North America (USA & Canada)
* NAVTEQ Europe

Please contact Customer Service, 1-888-377-4575, to request the StreetMap for Mobile DVD be mailed to you.

Denise
0 Kudos
StephenDickinson
Esri Contributor
Seeking clarification of this...

What media do we find the "Street Map for Mobile" application on - the application that we need to create SDC for use with ArcGIS Mobile?

We need this application to create SDC from our vector base mapping i.e. not Tele Atlas / NAVTEQ.

Thanks
0 Kudos
KrisMcKee
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm also after the Create Mobile Basemap tool in V10. I think that this would be of great use specially considreing the ease of use of ArcGIS Mobile at V10 and the availability at all license levels now. Any ideas?......I tried the old Mobile Tools toolbox, and abviously it dit not work....

Cheers,

Alvaro
0 Kudos
JamesPritchard
New Contributor
Hi,

We also have been using the CreateMobileBasemap GP tool.  In our process we call this from several scripts to produce various maps for clients.  What options do we have for producing Navmap/SDC maps using ArcGIS 10?  Is there something in ArcObjects we can use to produce the SDC's from workspace dataset?

Regards

James Pritchard
0 Kudos
KishorePerla1
New Contributor

Hello Stephen,

Do you have any update on this? Is there a way to create SDC format data from ArcGIS 10 or 10.2?

Thanks.

0 Kudos