Allowed Symbology in AGM 10.2

03-28-2014 03:48 AM
DustinEdge
Occasional Contributor
Greetings All

Is there a guide/document/something that can tell me what sorted of symbology AGM cannot handle?  thought a simple arrowhead or offset lin would have been ok. But apparently not.

The intro to AGM clearly says "convert your project to mobile". It doesn't say "take your project, throwout all your symbology that makes the mxd useful, then push it to mobile".

Help?

Regards
Dustin
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
Greetings,

Here is a link to the supported symbology:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/windows-mobile/app/index.html#//007v00000006000000
I think it is a little old but should be still valid.

I personally use the CharacterMarker Symbols and I code the symbology using the MultiLayer object. Meaning I can make my own custom symbols from different Fonts and CharacterMarkers.

I exclusively use Point symbols for now, I have not tried line or polygons yet.

I hope this helps.
0 Kudos
DustinEdge
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Akhil

that does help. When u say u code the symbology using the MultiLayer Object..does that mean you are usingSDK and not the out-of-the-box solution?

The table in that link is not entirely accurate. the basic carto line with an arrowhead comes under cartographic line" but the arrows don't show. Even 2 offset lines that are both carto lines doesn't come through.

I guess it's trial & error to see what works
0 Kudos
DustinEdge
Occasional Contributor
UPDATE

Arrgghhh....lines with arrowheads at the start/end are "line decorations". The nice little tip from ESRI says that they get downgraded.

Well that really limits my options.

THANKS ESRI
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
New Contributor III
My application is very unique in the way I use it.
I actually use the out-of-the-box solution, for the forms (attribute form) and nice interface it has.
But all of the data collection and other features are through my code, not ESRI's Data Collection tasks.

In addition, I am able to change the service that my app uses before loading ArcGIS Mobile, I will give you an example that is similar but nothing to do with my type of data.

Service #1:
Layer name: Temperature
Layer Type: Point
Classes and Symbology:
- 0 to 12 degrees Celsius = Blue circle, size 8 pt
- 13 to 18 degrees Celsius = Orange circle, size 8 pt
- >19 degrees Celsius = Red circle, size 8 pt

I can tell my app to load this service and my field teams can collect data using this classification and symbology.

The next day my boss may want a different number of classes and symbology.

Service #2:
Layer name: Temperature
Layer Type: Point
Classes and Symbology:
- 0 to 9 degrees Celsius = Blue fill with black beaker (multi-layer character marker symbol), size 12 pt
- 10 to 12 degrees Celsius = Yellow fill with black beaker, size 12 pt
- 13 to 8 degrees Celsius = Orange fill with black beaker , size 12 pt
- >19 degrees Celsius = Red fill with black beaker, size 12 pt

I have an app on the server, using ArcObjects to create an MXD with the classes and symbology that my boss would need (custom classes and symbology) and it will then create a service that my Mobile app can use for data collection.

I no longer manually create the MXD required for a mobile application, normally it would take me 1 to 5 hours to create a perfect MXD and then publish it. Instead my app can create a service in less than 30 seconds.

My organization's requirements were to have a separate FeatureDataSet for every deployment into the field. So in this example, as long as the layer's name is Temperature, my application will understand how to collect data and symbolize it accordingly.

I agree the table in the link I gave you is really not detailed for what we need, your best bet is trial and error. I was very lucky that a customized multi-layer character marker symbol worked in both ArcGIS Mobile and in our Silverlight Web Mapping application.

Once again I have yet to try Poly Lines and Polygons. I'm sure my managers would want this kind of feature in the future.

Regards,

Akhil P.
0 Kudos