Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I display flow direction in a Mobile App?

01-25-2011 04:07 AM
AlinaTaus
Frequent Contributor
Hello,

I am looking for some ideas on how to display flow direction in ArcGIS Mobile.
I have feature classes representing sewer, stormwater and water. In Desktop I display flow direction using arrows at the end of each line segment. Unfortunately ArcMobile does not support line decorations such as arrows on the endpoints of lines.
I read that the mobile framework rasterizes marker symbols and then ships a bitmap representation to the client device cache. Does anybody know where exactly these bitmaps are stored?
Could I try to convert the arrow to a marker symbol or something else that the mobile framework will understand? Could I manually move this symbol to the mobile cache?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JeffAzevedo
Deactivated User
I haven't been able to come up with anything that will work for your flow direction arrows. I'm having a similar issue with some labels that will not come across. Hopefully this will bump the thread and some one else might have an idea.
0 Kudos
JeffAzevedo
Deactivated User
The only thing I've come up with is to create your arrows as a cached basemap. It's not a great solution as you will need to update it often with new taps, valves ect. changing your arrows, but it would work.
0 Kudos
AkhilParujanwala
Regular Contributor
There may be a convoluted way to do this. Results may not be perfect but it could be a possible solution. Just hear me out.

1) Query the lines and determine the direction in which the "it" flows.
2) If flows "Left" put a Green square via a graphic layer on the node/point where the end of the line segment is.
3) Repeat this process for each direction and apply a different colour for each direction. West = Green, East = Blue, North = Red, South = Pink.
4) When you load your application this colour schematic will be apply throughout the entire map on the fly.
5) If you are live synchronizing, then call this method to "colour the flow".

I use this similar technique for colouring my points, my points have a value, I query each point in the layer, get the value, then assign a colour using a graphic layer.

If you figure out how to use PointPaintOperation please let me know, but for now I just use a Graphic Layer.

Other than that I don't think there is a way to determine flow natively with ArcGIS Mobile.
0 Kudos