Portal or ArcGIS Online Required

03-12-2014 02:00 PM
CarlMoczydlowsky
New Contributor
Im at the Dev Summit and I'm getting conflicting information about SAP Business Objects requiring either Portal or ArcGIS Online. We have an ArcGIS Server deployment and we use SharePoint as our CMS so I dont want redundancy with Portal. Without actually playing with the software I can't verify the set-up. Seems like the services and endpoints from Server should be enough without a intermediary like Portal on ArcGIS Online. Can someone who actually knows the answer from a technical perspective reply? Thanks!

-Carl
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShirleyBaffoe
Esri Contributor
Hello Carl,

Esri Maps for SAP BusinessObjects requires ArcGIS Portal or Online.

Thank you.
Shirley
0 Kudos
AkakpoAgbago
Esri Contributor
In a coherent way, Esri delivers Location Analytics capabilities, data and geo-processing services through a platform.
This has a single resource center known as a portal. The portal becomes the CMS system for all Location (or Geography or Mapping) content and services for your organization.

Users (humans) or Apps (plugins) or Servers, all use and feed from that system (the portal). The portal can be implemented as an ArcGIS Online (cloud version) or Portal for ArcGIS (on-premise version).

So in no way, this portal replaces the role of your SharePoint as a CMS. No. And your SharePoint as a CMS cannot either fulfill the roles of the Esri Portal. There is no duplication or redundancy here at all.

Esri Portal is for your Mapping Business and your SharePoint is just a terminal to the portal from that mapping resources perspective while it still remains your CMS for your other businesses as you meant it to be.

In the same way your SAP, your office, your CRM etc. are just Apps (terminals) for the Portal; they render all mapping capabilities into those business systems of yours.

I hope this helps you to understand more the architecture.
Akakpo Agbago
0 Kudos