map services not adding to Esri Maps for Office (Excel)

02-26-2013 12:56 PM
ClemHenriksen
New Contributor II
When I attempt to add a map service, I can make the map service appear in a browser window by clicking on 'Map Service'.
When I click on the 'Add' button,  Esri Maps ToC window goes to the Map Contents tab, a long wait occurs, then an error message window appears, 'Add Failed/ The service could not be added to the map.'

I am able to display a Feature Service in the map window in Excel.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnGardner
New Contributor III
I have previously had this error. I have a couple of thoughts as to why it could be happening.

1). The service is no longer available. Find the REST endpoint to confirm it is still available.
2). The permissions of the map service might prevent you from using it.

Can you provide us details of the Map Service you're trying to add?

Regards,

John
0 Kudos
JohnCodd
New Contributor III
Another thread in "ESRI Maps for Office" has a similar problem;  �??Problem adding custom location type�?�  The solution was that the user must have administrative rights on the PC that they are adding the custom location map service to.

�??I have been doing some testing and can replicate the "An error has occurred" issue you are seeing when trying to add a custom location type. It does seem to occur when a user does not have administrator rights to the local PC. We are looking at changing the way this works in future versions, but no decisions have been made at the current time.

For the time being, the workaround is to have an administrator grant the user full read/write permissions to the c:\Program Files (x86)\EsriMaps folder and all files and subfolders within. In local testing this fixed the issue on my test machine and I was able to add custom location types. Please let me know if this workaround solves the problem for you." (Scott Ball)�?�

John
John Codd
0 Kudos