How to add / display .kmz on ESRI Maps for SharePoint webpart

09-19-2013 10:58 PM
SatyamAMIN
New Contributor
Hello,

As we know that ESRI Maps for SharePoint does not have direct support for adding kmz files, I would like to display / add .kmz file on the map inside webpart. I guess that it's possible by doing custom development.

My kmz files are stored in SharePoint list.

Has anyone has done this before ?

Thanks in advance,
Satyam
0 Kudos
7 Replies
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello,

Adding kmz/kml directly to Esri Maps for SharePoint is not supported, but you could create a map in ArcGIS Online and then open/add that map in either the Esri Maps Web Part (JavaScript) or ArcGIS Map Web Part (Silverlight).

Hope that helps,
Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
PaulBedford
New Contributor
I have tried this and the kmz layer does not render in either the ArcGIS web part or the ESRI wed part. The map does render.

I am on an SP site with HTTPS enabled and I have followed the instructions to set things up for this scenario but there is a Layer Initialization error - the language in the error references a security exception.

Has anyone come across this?

Thanks

Paul
0 Kudos
SatyamAMIN
New Contributor
Hello,

Adding kmz/kml directly to Esri Maps for SharePoint is not supported, but you could create a map in ArcGIS Online and then open/add that map in either the Esri Maps Web Part (JavaScript) or ArcGIS Map Web Part (Silverlight).

Hope that helps,
Katy

Hello,

I wanted to open KMZ using extensibility Silverlight API which I succeed.

Thanks again for your reply.
Satyam
0 Kudos
SatyamAMIN
New Contributor
I have tried this and the kmz layer does not render in either the ArcGIS web part or the ESRI wed part. The map does render.

I am on an SP site with HTTPS enabled and I have followed the instructions to set things up for this scenario but there is a Layer Initialization error - the language in the error references a security exception.

Has anyone come across this?

Thanks

Paul

Hi,

Have you tried on SP site without HTTPS ? If it's work, then something to do with security exception.
0 Kudos
PaulBedford
New Contributor
I have tried with just http and still get a layer initialization error but no security exception.

Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
SatyamAMIN
New Contributor
Hello,

Can you poste your source code ? Also send me detail error message. In my case there are few KMZ which are posing same error but others are displaying correctly. Try to open one by one KMZ to check is there any error with any specific KMZ.
0 Kudos
PaulBedford
New Contributor
I only have one KMZ file. And there is no source code. I am using the SharePoint v3.x Web Part (ArcGIS and ESri) to display from the Map Center hosted on ArcGIS online.
0 Kudos