Esri Maps for Sharepoint 4.0: Esri Maps App Configuration

07-09-2015 04:36 AM
ThomasGroßmann
New Contributor II

I've installed Esri Maps for Sharepoint 4.0. Trying to go through the configuration process I got stuck at the point of setting the App Configuration credentials (Configure Esri Maps for SharePoint—Esri Maps for SharePoint | ArcGIS).  Being a site collection administrator, I am able to open the App Configuration. The problem: the Configuration Page remains empty:

Checking out the Developer Tools-Console I read the following message:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)

http://la.arcgis.com/sharePoint/esriMapsSharePoint/init.js

Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
21 Replies
SteveLinford
New Contributor

Thanks Cara and Elitsa for your help on this.

I had tried manually installing each file and checking for errors but it all appeared to install fine.

I also checked the  C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\[HIVE\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\ESRI.ArcGIS.Mapping.SharePoint and the scripts folder is there. However, I still get the 404 error for http://mydomain/_layouts/ESRI.ArcGIS.Mapping.SharePoint/scripts/sharepoint/esriMapsSharePoint/EsriMa...

I've installed and retracted the solution countless times now, but as I suspect the issue might relate to something not cleaned up from the beta version I've been using I thought I should also do this via powershell so have run the following:

Uninstall-SPSolution -Identity esri.arcgis.mapping.sharepoint.wsp -allwebapplications

Remove-SPSolution -identity esri.arcgis.mapping.sharepoint.wsp -force

Unfortunately this made no difference.

In the event viewer on my Sharepoint application server I am getting the following errors:

'Target application not found (application id: Esri Maps Locate Workflow (myaccount.maps.arcgis.com)).'.

'Target application not found (application id: Esri Maps App Login (myaccount.maps.arcgis.com)).' 

I was also getting:

The Microsoft Secure Store Service application Secure Store Service Application failed to retrieve credentials. The error returned was 'Target application not found (application id: Esri Maps Locate Workflow)

So I wondered if there was an issue with the Secure Store Service I had set up for using with the beta 4 version. As such, I've now deleted this and no longer get the error message, however, there first 2 are still there.

In short, I've tried everything you've suggested but haven't made any progress.

Do you have any other suggestions please?

Many thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
ElitsaBaklova
New Contributor II

Hi Steve,

I apologize that I missed to read that you upgraded from Beta!!! Can you please do me a favor and go to Central Administration -> Application Management -> Manage Service Applications -> Secure Store Service -> Delete all Secure Store Service target applications that are prefixed with Esri Maps. Then go to your site collection, deactive and activate again the Esri Maps for SharePoint feature in Site Settings, and one last time try to perform App Configuration.

Thanks,

Elitsa Baklova

0 Kudos
SteveLinford
New Contributor

Hi Elitsa,

I did delete all Secure Store Service target applications before my previous post, but I've followed your instructions and verified nothing ESRI Maps related remains in my installation. I've re-run the install yet again and still have the same problem - blank app configuration page  (http://myserver/sites/sites/_layouts/ESRI.ArcGIS.Mapping.SharePoint/pages/WorkflowSettings.aspx) which is reporting a 404 HTTP error in trying to access .js files (http://myserver/_layouts/ESRI.ArcGIS.Mapping.SharePoint/scripts/sharepoint/esriMapsSharePoint/EsriMa...)

So unfortunately still no progress.

Kind regards

Steve

0 Kudos
ThomasMontefusco
Occasional Contributor II

If anybody is still having this issue, please upgrade to 4.1 - this should resolve your issue

0 Kudos
SvivaManager
Occasional Contributor II

I'm not sure if I should be more happy than sad to see this post.. I'm having the exact same issue

Above all that, I started with a perfectly fine installation on one environment, and just now, after seeing it functioning perfectly fine, I decided to install it on another domain (integration environment) and I get this weird buggy behaviour after installation!

Same installation files! version 4.1

When loading the component at the correct environment, it doesn't even tries to find a folder named scripts.

We have tried several times to clean all files completely and reinstall, even tried to install it on a single portal website to make it simple and fast and still, the behaviour when loading is different.

So after a lot of different attempts, I navigated to the location of the installed files and I notice the script library doesn't exist! (tho I am SURE it was there a few hours ago).

At the other environment the library does exist, so I copied the folder between the servers and things are starting to work again but now there's a new problem! which may indicate the origin of the problem.

It seems that some files at the scripts folder are too long by name (with the complete path included) and then windows fails to copy them which results on missing files and errors.

It's a system limitation that for some reason didn't showed up at the other server. I'm trying to copy the files locally and MOVE them (instead of copy) to the destination folder and this should bypass the length limitation.

***** UPDATE ******

Copying the scripts folder locally and them moving it to its required location manually solved the problem.

Regards,

Shay.

0 Kudos
SteveLinford
New Contributor

The upgrade to 4.1  (for SPS 2010) didn't work for me so in the end I gave up on this last year.

However, not wanting to be beaten and as it could provide some benefit, I've gone full circle and been trying to get this working. After countless installs, reinstalls, tweaking etc. I've finally got this to a point where, rather than get a blank screen and a 404 for the ESRIMapSettings.js, I get a message 'You do not have permissions to manage App Configuration. Please make sure you have administrative access to the SharePoint Secure Store Service.'

I hoped this was the last hurdle in getting this to work, and have actually found reference to this error - Frequently asked questions—Esri Maps for SharePoint | ArcGIS - but I already have full permission and renabling this, using another account etc. still give me the same error. Can anyone help please?

Also, as I'm still posting against this old post, do I need to log this as a separate thread?

Many thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
CaraKaser
New Contributor

Steve -- I like your "never give up" attitude; it seems to be what's needed for this product in SP 2010!

I ran into this error last year and I believe I had to delete the target application and then create it again with the account I wanted to use. It's been a few months but here is the configuration notes from when I installed 4.0:

1) Had to set SharePoint admin account (TestSP_Install) as Secure Store Service Application Administrator, and then delete the target applications "Esri Maps App Login" and "Esri Maps Locate Workflow"; otherwise when setting credentials on Esri Maps Config Page will get an "Access Denied" indefinitely.

2) Use TestSP_Install account to configure Esri App. If get "Access Denied" on Esri App Config Page, delete target applications "Esri Maps App Login" and "Esri Maps Locate Workflow" in the Secure Store Service Application (see bullet #1 above). Esri App Config Page only works in document mode IE 10 or more to set credentials.

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
SteveLinford
New Contributor

Hi Cara,

Thanks so much for all your help. I think I'm almost there!

I found the solution to the 'You do not have permissions to manage App Configuration...' problem in the installation guide. I needed to give permissions to the secure store service to the current web application pool account. So now I see the App configuration screen and can Set Credentials - well I can enter them but I'm redirected back to the same screen so it doesn't seem to want to store the credentials.

I followed your advice in deleting the target applications to see if this helped but whilst re-entering the credentials again recreates the target applications the credentials are still not stored against the app configuration,

I'm still plugging away at this but if would be grateful you have any ideas?

Thanks again

Steve

0 Kudos
CaraKaser
New Contributor

Ok, have you tried viewing the page in IE in Document mode IE 10 when trying to set the credentials? When on the page in IE press F12 to bring up the developer tools, and near the upper right-hand corner there's the document model button. Click it and set it to 10 (screenshot below). Then try setting your credentials in the page. I'm not sure if this will work, but I seem to remember something like this happening with me when trying to get the configuration page to actually store the credentials.

0 Kudos
SteveLinford
New Contributor

Wow! That's cracked it.

Thank you so much for your help Cara.

I'm not sure if it was down to the vagaries of IE or ESRI Maps but I had to try several permutations to finally get the credentials to stick. In the end I managed it on a machine running IE 10 with the document mode set to IE9 standards. IE11 on my PC just crashed everything time I tried going to the app config page with IE 10 document mode set, and Edge seemed to doze off and lose interest.

Anyway, I finally seem to have v4.1 running, so thanks once again for all your assistance!

Steve

0 Kudos