ESRI Maps for Office 2.1.1 crashes Microsoft Excel 2010

10-07-2013 10:38 AM
HeathBrackett1
Occasional Contributor II
Today I updated ESRI Maps for Office 2.1.1.  When I reopened Microsoft Excel, the ability to even sign in was not allowed (everything on the ESRI Maps tab was greyed out).  I then noticed that the ArcGIS Connection setting in the ESRI Maps Configuration was blank.  So I entered www.arcgis.com (which is the default configuration) and upon entering that information, Excel crashed and closed.  I cannot update the configuration setting. 

Our agency uses Microsoft Excel 2010 (32-bit) with Windows 7 (64-bit).  I would strongly recommend that people do not update ESRI Maps for Office 2.1.1 at this time.

Heath
0 Kudos
14 Replies
BillMcDavitt
New Contributor II
This thread is resonating with my experience.
Windows 7 (64-bit) w/ Admin privileges
Office 2010 (32-bit)
Installing Office for Maps v 2.1.2.

Simply by clicking on the 'ESRI Maps' tab in either Excel or PowerPoint causes the program to crash. I've uninstalled and re-installed
and rebooted.  I've started with a blank spreadsheet and a rather tepid file that has 20 rows of data and some lat long values. I've
unchecked my Adobe PDFMaker COM add-in, same result. It's the simple act of clicking on the 'ESRI Maps' tab that kills the program.

Any troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
MartinRick
Occasional Contributor II
Hi GIS-Crowd,

I made the same experiences and got the impression that offline environments cause a lot of problems to the EMFO Add-In. If your machine has no connection to the internet (here arcgisonline) or to your own portal, the Microsoft Add-in seems to get into some trouble.

Regards,
Martin
0 Kudos
KyleHurley
New Contributor III
I didn't want to create a new thread but this pertains to version 2.1.2.

I attempted to install Esri Maps for Office version 2.1.2 on my machine. I currently have MS Office Professional Plus 2010 Version 14.0.7106.5003 (32-bit). However after an install, restart, un-intall and re-install neither Excel nor Powerpoint load properly. Both programs will load and display similar error messages posted in this thread. As soon as I un-install Esri Maps for Office both Excel and Powerpoint load as expected.

I have attempted two different types of installing methods for the ArcGIS Connection Settings, both of which produced the same results: (1) ArcGIS Online and (2) My ArcGIS Online Organization.

This may be an internal/firewall issue but I wanted to post in case others were having similar issues. Please assist as I have been looking forward to using Esri Maps for Office and have not gotten my hands wet yet!
0 Kudos
KyleHurley
New Contributor III
I didn't want to create a new thread but this pertains to version 2.1.2.

I attempted to install Esri Maps for Office version 2.1.2 on my machine. I currently have MS Office Professional Plus 2010 Version 14.0.7106.5003 (32-bit). However after an install, restart, un-intall and re-install neither Excel nor Powerpoint load properly. Both programs will load and display similar error messages posted in this thread. As soon as I un-install Esri Maps for Office both Excel and Powerpoint load as expected.

I have attempted two different types of installing methods for the ArcGIS Connection Settings, both of which produced the same results: (1) ArcGIS Online and (2) My ArcGIS Online Organization.

This may be an internal/firewall issue but I wanted to post in case others were having similar issues. Please assist as I have been looking forward to using Esri Maps for Office and have not gotten my hands wet yet!

For those having similar problems, please see: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/99771-Esri-Maps-for-Office-crashing-Excel-amp-PowerPoint-2013
0 Kudos
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III
danielri;343086 wrote:
If you will be 'deploying' the Maps for Office package to your users and they DON'T have admin on their computers then you should tweak the msi so that the 'check for updates' option is turned off after installation (i.e., in Excel you will find this setting in File | Esri Maps). If you have access to an MSI editing tool like Orca, just go to the Property Table and change the "CheckboxForUpgrade" properties valu to 0, ensure ALLUSERS is set to 1. Other option would be to just go to the Upgrade Table and change the versionmin number to a large value like 3.0 so an upgrade never can occur.

QUOTE]

Note at 2.1.3 and 2.1.4 you can still set the values shown here but the MSI does not appear to actually use them, thus setting the version min to a large number may be your best bet.

CheckboxForUpgrade value to 0 in the Checkbox table AND
CheckboxForUpgrade value to 0 in the Property table
SoftwareUpgradeCheckBox condition to SOFTWAREUPGRADE="false" in ControlCondition table
SetCheckForSoftwareUpgrade condition to CheckboxForUpgrade="0" inControlEvent  table
0 Kudos