Enrich Data - default stuck on Add to existing columns

03-25-2013 01:06 PM
PatrickFowler
New Contributor
When I use the enrich data dialog the default is set on Add to Existing Columns and will not let me change to Create new column with
variable names.  Is anyone else having an issue with the default?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor
When I use the enrich data dialog the default is set on Add to Existing Columns and will not let me change to Create new column with
variable names.  Is anyone else having an issue with the default?

Hi Patrick -

Most Maps for Office tasks work best when the source Excel data is in a table, and the Enrich Layer process is no exception. If your layer was created from a cell range, you can only use the 'Add to existing columns' option. If your layer is created from a table you gain access to the 'Create new columns with variable names' option.

To get your cell range into a table, highlight the cell range -> click the Insert tab on the ribbon -> click Table. Excel will convert your cell range into a table. Note: you will have to remove the layer that was created from a cell range and 'Add Excel Data' to create a new layer from the newly created table. When you click 'Add Excel Data' make sure your Current Selection refers to the new table. You should be able to create new columns using the Enrich Layer tool after going through this process.

Thanks for the question and I will work on updating the online doc to make everyone aware of this workflow.

Scott
0 Kudos