data storage / performance

04-15-2014 07:06 AM
olivierdev
New Contributor III
Hi,
Where are the lat/long data stored after data coming from cognos have been geocoded?
Any idea?

Let say that a report contains a map. This map has layers. One of this layer is data coming from Cognos that have been geocoded when designing the reoport in Esri Maps Designer.
When opening up again the report loads the map and the geocoded layer may take some time to display (depending on the points number).
Does the geocoding process occurs each time the map is loaded? or the geocoding result is stored somewhere (where?)?
What are the best practices to get fast report rendering?

Thanks in advance

oliver
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JanneSaarikko
New Contributor
Hi,

What comes to EM4C geocoding, I believe the geocoding happens (and agol credits are consumed) every time 1) the report author creates a report and geocodes adresses/ points to the map and also 2) every time the report consumer runs the report. As far as I know the EM4C 5.0.x doesn't store coordinates anywhere.

Therefore, if the report has e.g. 1000 points to be geocoded and the report is run let's say 20 times by the report consumer. The ArcGIS Online credit consumption will be 1 x 40 credits + 20 x 40 credits = 840 credits. 1000 geocodes will consume around 40 credits. You can estimate the consumption here: http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgisonline/credits/estimator

I've inquired this from Esri Inc and this is how the current architecture is designed. Esri's best practice is to geocode the addresses and store the lat/lon fields into Cognos data in Enterprise DW. The location fields has to have values either in Web Mercator or in WGS84.

The good question then is what is the best workflow to do the geocoding and pushing the new location field into Cognos DW, especially if the data updates frequently. What we've done with one of our EM4C customer, is that they've provided the Cognos data, that has no location fields (lat/lon) but includes the address, in an Excel sheet. We've done the geocoding in ArcMap and included the location fields into this sheet, the customer has then pushed the data back into their Cognos. This has worked so far since the data doesn't update that frequently and when it does, there's only the updated data to be geocoded. Maybe someone can come up with a better workflow?

It would be nice feature to have, if you could geocode and create new location fields directly within EM4C. As far as I know this is not possible at the moment.

BR,
Janne
0 Kudos