Create SharePoint list item with geometry?

02-05-2024 01:23 PM
JoshSaad1
Occasional Contributor II

I think I might have had the wrong idea of what you could do with ArcGIS for SharePoint. 

I was hoping you could create a SharePoint list item using an interactive map, using SharePoint as a way of editing the item's attributes in the list view.  Each list item would be a map feature.

Like, create a new list item, then have an interactive map in the input form where you could draw a polygon or drop a point while entering the attributes in the form fields, and view and edit the list of features in the SharePoint list.

Is that possible?  The documentation makes it seem like you really just geo-tag existing items with existing features on a map.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

@JoshSaad1 

Thanks for reaching out to us on Esri Community. In ArcGIS for SharePoint, we have a component called "Edit locations" which allows you to "edit" or "delete" the point, line or polygon data stored in SharePoint lists.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/microsoft-365/latest/sharepoint/list-map.htm

We do have plans to extend the "Edit locations" feature, allowing users to create feature data by drawing a line or a polygon or simply dropping a point on the map. This is in our backlog.

I can definitely try to bump the priority for this request. If you don't mind, can you share some details on your role and the organization who you work for?

Thanks in advance.

Raaj

0 Kudos
slcgis
by
New Contributor II

I'm the GIS Coordinator for St. Lucie County's Public Safety department.  I was hoping to be able to leverage SharePoint's capabilities for building list applications with ArcGIS mapping.  It would be great to be able to use SharePoint's list tables to view edit feature attributes.  Or to add an ArcGIS map to a PowerApps form where a user could add features and have a customizable interface for adding feature attributes.  I guess it would be like creating a Survey123 form, but then having a map-enabled table to view and edit the records.

An example would be like adding Road Closures.  You could see the list items as features on the map, and view or edit the details in the list view.  That's like what I was hoping I could do with ArcGIS for SharePoint.

RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

Thanks, @JoshSaad1 for sharing the details.

For now, you can use the "Edit locations" (previously known as "List map") feature to "edit" and "delete" feature data stored in SharePoint lists. I will be meeting with the team leads to discuss new use cases/user stories and I will make sure to discuss this one as well. I will keep you posted.

Thanks & Regards,

Raaj

0 Kudos