ArcGIS Map Web Part only showing first 1000 rows

07-19-2010 10:16 AM
JeffPope
New Contributor II
I can't get all my data to display in the sharepoint map webpart or the geolist web part. The map displays correctly in arcgisonline.com, loads from my arcgis server fine, but the Sharepoint Map Web Part and matching Geolist Web Part only show the first 1000 rows. Is there a cfg somewhere I missed or that I can edit to display all the polygons? There are about 48K polygons on this specific layer. Please advise. Thanks

Jeff
0 Kudos
5 Replies
WarrenElkins
New Contributor
Jeff,

:confused:
I am having a similar problem with displaying parcels. In my SharePoint map I am only getting a very small set of parcels to display. Pretty useless, as I need to have all the parcels display. Also, the parcels that are displayed is very random. Have you found an answer to your problem? Please share if you do. I will likewise.

Warren Elkins
0 Kudos
BobHazelton
New Contributor
Jeff & Warren,
What version of ArcGIS Server are you using? 
In the map web part, f you add a feature layer as a single item AGS 10 does have a configuration file that has a default limit of 1,000 features on the REST request response.
If you add the entire map service then AGS returns the map image tiles and all features are displayed.
0 Kudos
JeffPope
New Contributor II
Jeff & Warren,
What version of ArcGIS Server are you using? 
In the map web part, f you add a feature layer as a single item AGS 10 does have a configuration file that has a default limit of 1,000 features on the REST request response.
If you add the entire map service then AGS returns the map image tiles and all features are displayed.

Using ArcGIS Server 10. I found the config file that defaults to first 1000 rows. If I change that to include all the 48K rows, I run out of memory. Too big. My question is that 1000 rows, is that for the entire feature or what is in the viewable extent. If it is the viewable extent, then the 1000 rows would be fine and workable. Or is this a feature that could be included in the next version. Seems kind of restrictive at the moment.

Jeff
0 Kudos
RichZwaap
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Jeff:

In your case, if you need to show all 48,000 features on the map, you should add the root map service, rather than the individual layer within the map service.  Or if you need the client-side functionality (pop-ups, interactive table, symbology configuration), then you may want to consider separating out your dataset into more digestable chunks. 

The basic problem is that this is simply too many data points for the browser to render with a rich visualization (i.e. high fidelity mapping).  At the current release, the product is not able to retrieve features that are just within in the current extent.  So the main options that occur to me are (a) use the map service, which the browser can easily handle because the service just returns a few image tiles for each map extent, or (b) break up your dataset into finer-grained subsets.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
AaronWeier
Occasional Contributor
Hi All,

does this item limit exist with the latest v2.1.1 map web part? i'm having a similar issue with a list as the data source (n=1397) and can't seem to find why only 1000 list items are being mapped. I'm using SP2010.

thanks,
Aaron
0 Kudos