Create network dataset with public transit data

07-02-2021 04:03 AM
VeraLim
New Contributor

Hi,

I am following the tutorial Create and use a network dataset with public transit data—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation but instead of using the template provided in the tutorial to 'Create Network Dataset From Template', I 'Create Network Dataset' and set up the source settings and travel attributes manually. But after I built my network for analysis, I realise that my routes do not utilise the LineVariantElements at all, so all the routes are walking only. 

I followed the tutorial's template source settings exactly and I only made adjustments to the restrictions and travel modes. The travel attribute's public transit time cost is also set accordingly, with LineVariantElements using Public Transit evaluator. However, I am not able to set directions (not sure if this is critical?).

So I am not sure what went wrong, if there is anything that I missed in order to build a working network dataset that utilises the public transit data? My final aim is to create my own template that reads my city's street feature class to set up various restrictions and travel modes, which is why I am not using the template provided in the tutorial. 

Hope that I can receive some help regarding this, thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm happy to help you with this.

My guess is your issue is one of the following:

• Connectivity policy - did you get the connectivity policy right?
    MelindaMorang_0-1625239501850.png

Also, did you use the connectivity policy (Any Vertex/Endpoint) that makes sense for your streets?

• Did you get your analysis settings right? Are you using a specific date or a weekday that makes sense for the data you have? Are you using a time of day when there is transit service?
  • Is the walk time along your streets being calculated correctly? If, for example, the walk time for all streets is accidentally 0 or very tiny, then the network will never use the transit lines because they will always be suboptimal compared to using the streets.

If none of those suggestions help you resolve the issue, I can take a look at your network if you can share it, or you could post some screenshots of your settings.

FYI, no special Directions settings can be configured for transit lines. Our Directions engine does not yet support transit directions.

0 Kudos