Where is data stored in ArcGIS Maps for Power BI

02-02-2018 08:26 AM
SharonPalmer
New Contributor

If I create a visual in Power BI using ArcGIS Maps which attributes from my data is ESRI storing in AGOL to render the map or complete associated spatial analysis? If ESRI stores data is this persisted and do I need to consider any data residency aspects ?

many thanks

Sharon

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
YoavRappaport
Occasional Contributor

AGOL isn't storing any of your tabular data. You can only display publicly shared layers (point, poly, line) as a reference layer. I typically don't include any information on AGOL other than the geometry and an ID, as its public information. There aren't any spatial analysis tools except for select and the map themes (heatmap, color and cluster - if you consider that spatial analysis). There are no proximity tools (buffer, radius based on a selected location). I hope this kind of development is on its way. I also haven't figured out how to connect tabular data to the reference layer as there doesn't seem to be a way of bringing in the layer as a table to PBI from the REST.

0 Kudos
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sharon - 

Your data are not persisted on Esri servers. 

We do cache information within the map object itself within Power BI, but it is only accessible to the map. It is used to draw the map quickly when a report is loaded and underlying data hasn't changed. Otherwise the visual would need to re-geocode all items every time the visual is loaded - which would result in a slower experience. 

Let me know if you have other questions.

-Scott (ArcGIS Maps for Power BI product team)