Three out of four basemaps not working

Jump to solution
11-07-2017 02:24 PM
VitalyLivshits
New Contributor III

We've been running into an issue today where the Dark Gray, Light Gray and Streets basemaps intermittently render as completely white. This has been happening in both Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service. The OpenStreetMap basemap seems to work well.

Is this a known issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlagiriVenkatachal
Esri Contributor

Hi Vitaly,

We made some changes to the settings on our CDN this past Friday evening. We think this will address the issue reported regarding the three basemaps. Please let us know if this resolves it.

Thanks,

Alagiri

View solution in original post

9 Replies
YoavRappaport
Occasional Contributor

We're experiencing the same behavior on Power BI Service, though the Power BI Desktop (latest release) is working fine. For now we ware using OSM for the basemap.

ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for reporting this behavior. We are escalating it internally and hopefully will know more soon. 

VitalyLivshits
New Contributor III

Scott,

Thanks for a prompt response. 

Is there an ETA on next update or on the resolution?

Also, may I ask that issues such as this one are published to the master Power BI availability dashboard at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/? This is intended to be a consolidated page for all service issues and is usually the 1st place we reference. It currently says "No known issues: Power BI is running smoothly". I think as more projects start to use the Esri component in production this kind of status visibility will be increasingly important.

0 Kudos
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

We're currently unable to reproduce the failures. We see a slight delay in loading the basemaps you mention but we aren't able to see the reported behavior (complete failure to load). We're still investigating. Are you still experiencing the issue?

I'll talk to our contacts at Microsoft to see about getting our visual listed on the dashboard. Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Kudos
VitalyLivshits
New Contributor III

Scott, 

Yes, this is consistently broken for us. The 3 basemaps never load.

Would you like any additional diagnostic details? Should we do a screen sharing session? I am open to any approaches that would expedite the fix.

FYI, same report from another user: ArcGIS map not displaying - Microsoft Power BI Community. And one more: ArcGIS Map Issue - Microsoft Power BI Community . This issue is widespread.

0 Kudos
AlagiriVenkatachal
Esri Contributor

Hi Vitaly,

I am a Software Engineer on the ArcGIS Maps for Power BI team. I would like to take a closer look at this and see what is happening on your end as we have been having a hard time to reproduce this on our end. Could you email me at avenkatachal at esri dot com? If possible, would like to setup a time to do a quick screen sharing to gather additional details to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Alagiri

0 Kudos
VitalyLivshits
New Contributor III

To provide an update to the community, we've connected with Alagiri and one of his colleagues yesterday and reviewed the issue together. 

We traced it down to the retrieval by the Esri Power BI visualization of some JavaScript files. The issue seems to be present in Chrome and IE. Things seem to be fine in Edge. This is preliminary information from our collaborative troubleshooting.

We are looking forward to hearing back from Esri soon and to hopefully have a fix deployed to the visualization in production shortly as well.

0 Kudos
AlagiriVenkatachal
Esri Contributor

Hi Vitaly,

We made some changes to the settings on our CDN this past Friday evening. We think this will address the issue reported regarding the three basemaps. Please let us know if this resolves it.

Thanks,

Alagiri

VitalyLivshits
New Contributor III

Thanks Alagiri. I can confirm that the issue is now resolved.

All basemaps operate normally in both PBI Desktop and PBI Service.