Switch to using 2010 Census Tracts?

06-24-2022 08:37 AM
pacyleterson
New Contributor II

It appears that with the update to version 2022.3.109 the Census tract geography with switched from 2010 to 2020. I have a a number of visualizations in use at the 2010 Census Tract level that are now failing to render correctly. Is there a way to switch to using the 2010 Census tract geography or to revert back to the previous version of ArcGis Maps for Power BI? The attached image shows the an example of much of the territory of a state failing to render due to changes in Census tracts from 2010 to 2020. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
SarahRosenthal1
New Contributor II

Hi @pacyleterson ! My name is Sarah and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI team. I am interested in looking more into this so I can help out if possible! 

The first thing I notice in your screenshot is that the layer is not rendering all polygons properly. Would it be possible to share the Missouri 2010 Tract data you are using (or a modified copy) so I an see if I can reproduce this issue on my end?

pacyleterson
New Contributor II

Thanks Sarah. Attached is a sample dataset using the same source as the report displayed that contains all US census tracts in the US using the 2010 FIPS code. (A small number of tracts with a population of zero, such as airports, are not included.) 

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help investigate. 

SarahRosenthal1
New Contributor II

Thanks @pacyleterson , we are currently working with the rest of team on this. I will get back to you as soon as I have more information! 

pacyleterson
New Contributor II

Hi @SarahRosenthal1 . I was hoping to check in to see if there is any update on making the 2010 Census tract geography available for use in ArcMaps for power BI. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
SarahRosenthal1
New Contributor II

Hey @pacyleterson, thank you so much for your patience on our response! After running this by several people there are a few ways we could go about helping you. Would you be willing to privately message my colleague  @Anonymous User to set up a time to chat? Thanks and looking forward to connecting soon!

KateLewandowski
New Contributor

Hi Sarah- I know this is a previous thread from several months ago, but my team is also trying to switch our map back to 2010 census tracts until we finish our internal transition to using 2020 census tracts for our data. Is there a way to do that in the arcgis visual for powerbi? Thanks!

pacyleterson
New Contributor II

Hi @kateleandowski. Were you able to find a solution to using the 2010 Census tracts? 

0 Kudos
MichaelStanger
New Contributor

Hi, @SarahRosenthal1 - I had the same issue as @pacyleterson.  Can you share the solution you came up with to be able to use 2010 Census tract boundaries?

0 Kudos
TyburCasuse-Driovinto
New Contributor

I am also interested in the answer to this question. I am working on merging data sets where one is from 2010 and the other is from 2020 census shapes. Is there a way to transform one to the other to make them compatible?

0 Kudos