Revert back to an older arcGIS Power BI version?

09-27-2021 04:04 PM
hellomynameisjoe
New Contributor II

Hello - ever since an update in early September 2021, ArcGIS for Power BI is not working properly: the map doesn't render at all in new maps, and in existing maps the shape files do not render properly.

Is there a way to manually revert back to an older ArcGIS version within Power BI (the round icon?)

15 Replies
hellomynameisjoe
New Contributor II

To add: the shape files are census tracts.

PowerBI version 2.96.1061.0 64-bit (August 2021)

ArcGIS maps for Power BI version 2021.1.91

0 Kudos
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

@hellomynameisjoe Thank you for posting, I am sorry to hear that you have been running into issues with the latest release of ArcGIS for PowerBI. According to the Product team, a new version of the app was pushed that resolved many of the issues with the September update. Could you ensure that you are running on the latest version to see if the issues still persist? Thanks!

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
hellomynameisjoe
New Contributor II

Hi @JonEmch :

I upgraded Power BI to 2.97.861.0 64-bit (September 2021). The ArcGIS Maps for Power BI is 2021.1.91.

The problems continue!

I'm unable to create new maps using census tracts (see attached image) and existing maps render poorly.

Please help me keep on keeping on!

Any short term fixes? Any way to revert back to older ArcGIS versions?

0 Kudos
jbintn
by
New Contributor II

I was getting the same error "The Provided Data failed to generate a layer on the map" because I had a date field in my tooltip, and when I changed it from a date hierarchy to a date, it broke. Changing it back to the date hierarchy fixed it. My workaround (I wanted to show the date, not the hierarchy) was to use a DAX Convert function to convert it to a string.

hellomynameisjoe
New Contributor II

Appreciate your suggestion.

Unfortunately, I don't think this fix applies to my issue.

Esri team - help!

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@hellomynameisjoe - Hello there! My name is Anthony and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI visual. I was looking over this issue and I would like to help out if I can!

Would it be possible to provide the data that you are using in Power BI so that I can test it on my end? There might have been a change in how the data is processed during this upgrade. If there is in fact a BUG or an issue with this, I can add it to our upcoming project and have it looked at by our team. 

I had a look at the screenshots and I agree; something isn't quite right with that data. I would like to do a comparison between this version and the previous to see where the gaps are. 

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to roll back to the previous version of ArcGIS for Power BI. 

Let's try and get this resolved for you! 

0 Kudos
hellomynameisjoe
New Contributor II

Ok, please let me know where I can send a sample anonymized data set.

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Sure thing @hellomynameisjoe ! You should be able to send me a direct message here in the community. If that doesn't work, shoot over an email to me: alatini@esri.com 

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Thank you for providing this information. I was able to reproduce the census tract issues and have logged it in our projects. I am not sure exactly on the timeline to resolve this issue, but, I will ensure our team is working on it. I have also notated poor rendering on these polygons as well.

Please let me know if there is anything else you find!

0 Kudos