Select to view content in your preferred language

Power BI report published to service loses basemap and data color settings

05-19-2020 09:08 AM
PaulHuey
New Contributor II

I have a Power BI report with the standard ArcGIS visualization that is published to a Power BI service tenant that uses the Street Basemap and custom colors for Symbol Color.  This report had been rendering properly for several weeks but now renders with the Light Gray Canvas basemap and default Symbol Color values.  This happens on multiple browsers even after the browser cache is cleared.  I have also attempted to re-publish the report but it still renders with the incorrect settings.

Did ESRI push a change that altered rendering in Power BI service for this visualization?

15 Replies
DavidCresp
New Contributor III

Sorry just to clarify the issue that is not yet resolved is the map legend can't hold custom colours when you use colours and size in a map. Hopefully this one can be solved soon as well. 

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello David,

There are two known issues with ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI on desktop being unable to store custom symbology:

BUG-000129922 : ArcGIS for PowerBI custom symbology changes back to default color ramp after an external filter is applied.
BUG-000123575 : ArcGIS Maps for Power BI fails to retain the custom symbology after exiting the application

These are most likely related to an overarching issue. If you are able to log a support case with us, I would strongly urge you to do so. That way we can confirm that this is the problem you are running into at which point we can add you to the defects.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
DavidCresp
New Contributor III

Thanks Jon, these would certainly cover the issues that I am getting and were obviously not fixed in the June version of Desktop. Is there any expectation on when these will be rectified?

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

The status of these defects lead me to believe that there is something in motion to address these issues. Unfortunate, I cannot speak for the Product Team so can't offer anything more than that.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
MichaelOri
New Contributor

So, how do we update the ArcGIS Map for BI tool to the new release?

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Michael,

For PowerBI Desktop, you should be able to download the latest version here. Alternatively if you open PowerBI Desktop, it should prompt you to update.

PowerBI Online should update on its own.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos