Power BI Embedded ArcGIS Maps Not Available

Jump to solution
05-04-2021 07:36 AM
MappingMatthew
New Contributor II

I have a ArcGIS standard account. The visual does not contain any reference layers. All that I am attempting to display is a base map and Lat/Long data from within Power BI. 

The visual renders just fine in PowerBI.com and the Power BI embedded playground. 

What do I need to do to get a simple map to render with my embedded Power BI report?

@JonEmch Any suggestions here?

MappingMatthew_0-1620138627278.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SéanAchim
New Contributor
Does this mean that I need to sign out of power bi?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Sure, couple of questions:

When you say standard ArcGIS Account, what is that specifically? Is it an account tied to an organization? What type of account is it?

What version of PowerBI Desktop are you using?

Also please take a look at the requirements found here (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/power-bi/design/embed-report.htm) and make sure you meet them all:

You must be signed in to a valid ArcGIS account with the appropriate user type.
To create a map-enabled report in Power BI, you must be signed in to Power BI with a Pro or Premium account. Report consumers must sign in to Power BI to view a report in an embedded environment. If the ArcGIS for Power BI visual contains private data, they must also sign in to ArcGIS.
Power BI data used to create the ArcGIS for Power BI map must use latitude and longitude coordinates for locations. If the Location field well contains addresses or standard boundaries, publishing to the web will not work.
A published map can contain a maximum of 30,000 locations.
You must run the ArcGIS for Power BI publishing precheck before generating an embed code for the report.
Consumers must sign in to view embedded reports containing secure content.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
MappingMatthew
New Contributor II

@JonEmch Thanks for the reply. 

It is a ArcGIS Online GIS Professional Basic Term License. I am the one and only user.

Power BI Desktop is the April 2021 release.

I am getting conflicting information. From the Esri support ticket I opened, this is not possible. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-publish-to-web

Additionally, there is an Esri bug (ENH-00130489) that states this is not currently possible. 

However, from this community and the sales documentation / video with Esri, this seems possible. 

The statement that you have above "Report consumers must sign in to Power BI to view a report in an embedded environment." If that is the case, what is the point of embedding a report in a website, if users have to have a Power BI login, wouldn't I just send all of my users to PowerBI.com?

I am very confused with this and the conflicting documentation. Being able to use ArcGIS maps in my embedded Power BI reports was the only reason why I purchased an Esri license. 

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

No problems, let me try to clear up the confusion:

1. Microsoft Documentation: it seems like this is out of date, I'll speak to the appropriate folks to get this changed, but it will take some time since we do not have direct lines to the authors of that document.
  2. ENH-00130489: Needs to be marked as resolved since we do have publish to web ability
  3. The video you referenced discusses requirements the ArcGIS for PowerBI visual must meet. This is in addition to the requirements found in our documentation here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/power-bi/design/embed-report.htm This documentation is the most authoritative source I found on this.
Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
MappingMatthew
New Contributor II

@JonEmch Is it possible for you and I to connect via zoom or teams to discuss further? Technical support was adamant that this was not possible.  

0 Kudos
SéanAchim
New Contributor

I have an identical problem.  I cannot find the publish Embed and publish check category spoken of in PowerBI.com or the desktop version.  How has this been resolved?

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Hi there @SéanAchim ! My name is Anthony and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI visual

To get the validation tool to appear in the Settings menu, you must be signed into an ArcGIS account to see it. If you are not signed in, it will not appear in the Settings menu. 

Reference: Embed a map-enabled report—ArcGIS for Power BI | Documentation

Please let me know if this helps! 

AnthonyLatini_0-1660239709995.png

SéanAchim
New Contributor
Does this mean that I need to sign out of power bi?
0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

For this process, you should be able to use the following steps to sign back into ArcGIS for Power BI. 

1. Create a new tab at the bottom of the page

AnthonyLatini_0-1660588691436.png

2. Add the ArcGIS for Power BI component to the report page

AnthonyLatini_1-1660588749357.png

3. Once you sign in on the new page, you can tab back to the report page that contains the original map and it should be signed in. 

Let me know if this helps! 

0 Kudos