Power BI & Arcgis

01-23-2019 08:47 AM
EdwardSheats
New Contributor II

Hello there! I was curious if anyone had the answer to how many rows/data points the ArcGIS visual can have in Power BI? I have a data set with 10,000 rows and it only load approximately 2000. I currently have Pro Access too. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoshJones2
New Contributor III

Hi Edward,

My name is Josh, and I'm the Lead Product Engineer for Esri's Microsoft integration products.

We recently raised the ceiling to 30,000 points, as long as those points are already lat/longs.

Based on the numbers you gave above, I'm going to assume that you are working with addresses (or another data type that has to be converted from a string to a location or "geocoded"). If that's the case then yes, the limit is considerably lower (1,500) for free users of the visual. Since you mention "Pro" access, I'm assuming that you're referring to PowerBI Pro, and I should point out that this is a separate product from a "Plus subscription" to ArcGIS Maps for Power BI (or signing in with an ArcGIS Online account). Purchasing Pro access from Microsoft does not include a subscription to Plus from Esri. Details on the Plus subscription can be found here:

About Plus—ArcGIS Maps for Power BI | ArcGIS 

When signed in to the visual with a Plus account (or an ArcGIS Online account) the limit on geocodes is raised to 5,000. Again, however if you separately geocode your addresses then bring them into the report, you can have up to 30,000 points on the map. The location to sign in on the visual can be found in the top right corner of the visual, and it looks like this:

Hope this helps,

Josh

EdwardSheats
New Contributor II

Thank you for the quick response, I am going to go in depth for what I am doing. I currently have Power BI Pro and Esri's Plus subscription(60 day free).

I currently have 10,000 addresses(City, State) in my data set, then I converted those addresses into Long & Lat coordinates using this process within Power BI. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxwU5UubWjI

I am signed into my plus subscription.

1. To clarify what you are saying; since I am transforming the addresses to coordinates within Power BI, should I be able to have access to mapping those 10,000 coordinates?

2. Also do you know why there would only be about 2,100 points plotted instead of the 5000?

3. Furthermore, would I need to create the long and lat coordinates outside of Power BI and then bring them in?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
EdwardSheats
New Contributor II

Thank you for the quick response, I am going to go in depth for what I am doing. I currently have Power BI Pro and Esri's Plus subscription(60 day free).

I currently have 10,000 addresses(City, State) in my data set, then I converted those addresses into Long & Lat coordinates using this process within Power BI. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxwU5UubWjI

I am signed into my plus subscription.

1. To clarify what you are saying; since I am transforming the addresses to coordinates within Power BI, should I be able to have access to mapping those 10,000 coordinates?

2. Also do you know why there would only be about 2,100 points plotted instead of the 5000?

3. Furthermore, would I need to create the long and lat coordinates outside of Power BI and then bring them in?

Thanks for your help, look forward to hearing from you!

0 Kudos
YoavRappaport
Occasional Contributor

Most likely the Plus account geocoding service is not able to resolve more than these 2,100 addresses. Geocoding is notoriously picky about the address format.  Especially with international addresses. I would suggest that unless you need dynamic on-the-fly geocoding services you may consider geocoding your 10,000 addresses outside of the Power BI service and bring back in with the lat/lon already established. If its really important to get these coded I would even consider a paid service such as Batch Geocode | Latitude Longitude From Address | Free Geocoding . You can get 10K done for $30 and see how many our found. You will get a location for each and I believe told the level of confidence. I've seen free geocoding services but typically there is a lower limit. Good luck and please update when you find the cause/solution.

EdwardSheats
New Contributor II

I was unable to load external longitude and latitude coordinates from excel into Power Bi, and then use those geocodes for ArcGIS mapping. There is probably a way to solve this problem in ArcGIS, but I could not find it and the end result was the same as when I originally mentioned it above. I switched mapping tools from ArcGIS to MapBox and was successful in uploading the 10,000+ coordinates for free and it works as planned. Just remember if you are clustering, switch the aggregation function to sum rather than count and it will works perfectly!

0 Kudos