Select to view content in your preferred language

Power BI and ArcGIS Online Integration

4 hours ago
JonJones1
Occasional Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I'm an admin for my company's ArcGIS Online (AGOL) platform and also have experience with Power BI. I'm currently working on integrating these two platforms more effectively.

I've created several AGOL dashboards, which are great, but now my company wants to transition to using Power BI dashboards. These dashboards should include maps made in AGOL and utilize Power BI's built-in visualizations (widgets) to view and interact with the data in AGOL feature layers. I have some questions about this integration:

1. Access to Non-Public Data: Is it possible to pull data from a hosted feature layer in AGOL that isn't shared publicly into Power BI and use it in Power BI visualizations? Also, does the type of layer (point, polygon, line) matter?

2. Interactivity Between Maps and Visuals: If I bring in a map made in AGOL and select something in a Power BI visual, does the AGOL map filter to show that item? Conversely, is it possible to select items in the imported AGOL map and have the Power BI visualizations display data about only those features? Basically, does cross-filtering work?

3. Publishing and Sharing Dashboards: What do the users of my Power BI dashboards need in order to interact with these dashboards? Basically, do they need AGOL viewer accounts to access it?

In my research, I found an old thread from 2018, https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/using-excel-to-access-arcgis-online-automated/...  about using Power Query to access ArcGIS Online data. I'm unsure if it's still relevant because it's somewhat dated and lengthy. Is this still the best source for learning how to pull data from AGOL into Power BI?

I just wanted to ask one more time the question above because this is super important to me: Is cross-filtering possible? For example, if I zoom in on an area on the AGOL map or select features on the AGOL map that is in Power BI, can the Power BI visuals update accordingly? Also, can the opposite happen where I select items in a Power BI table visual can the imported AGOL map filters to show only those items?

0 Kudos
0 Replies