Most Living Atlas content doesn't show up in ArcGIS for Power BI

02-05-2018 03:56 PM
RichardWilson1
New Contributor

I purchased a trial of the Plus subscription so that I could add global (non US) demographic data to maps in Power BI. However, there doesn't seem to be any available through the interface. For example, I would like to use this Living Atlas information (https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=b01adaf9e5584d09a147d14924d9cdb5), but searching for the title or any similar keywords returns no results. What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dunn_Jeremy
New Contributor III

Good Morning 

I am also interested in getting more Living Atlas content in power BI. In particular the Active Hurricane feeds from the NHC that the Living Atlas does provide quite nicely in AGOL. 

Regards. 

Jeremy. 

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Hello Jeremy and Richard, 

Thank you for reach out! My apologies for the lengthy delay between when this was posted and this response. I am a Product Engineer for the ArcGIS Maps for Power BI application here at Esri, and I wanted to get in touch to respond.

We are currently researching this as others have made similar comments to the Living Atlas structure and where it generates the layers from and how ArcGIS Maps for Power BI interprets them. Once we have a bit more insight on these inquiries, I will respond back and let you both know. 

Thank you, 

Anthony

0 Kudos
JamesFarquharson
New Contributor

I'd also be very interested in this development. It was the reason I signed up for a Plus account. 

0 Kudos
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

Please have a look at this documentation location for some answers:  https://doc.arcgis.com/en/maps-for-powerbi/design/add-a-reference-layer.htm

"A reference layer must be a feature service that contains a single layer. ArcGIS Maps for Power BI filters out unsupported item types; if you don't see the item you're looking for, verify that the layer is saved as a single-layer feature service in ArcGIS."

I believe this is what you are experiencing.