Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Interaction Issue in Power BI After June 26, 2024 (Arcgis Online)

Jump to solution
06-27-2024 05:51 AM
AdebMoustafa
New Contributor II

Hello,

I created a map using ArcGIS Online, where I added layers, images, labels, and pop-ups. I imported this map into Power BI, and initially, everything worked perfectly. I could click on any point in the map and view the information and images I added in ArcGIS Online. However, on June 26, 2024, I encountered an issue: clicking on any point in the map no longer shows any response. It's now impossible to click on any point to view the information.

Your help is appreciated.

Thank you!

20 Replies
WilliamEymold
New Contributor

I am having a similar issue but when I toggle the Feature Information button ON, it instantly resets to OFF. I've tried logging in and on of both Power BI and ArcGIS Online and I am clearly able to import data from ArcGIS Online from my account, I just can't use the information. Like many other users, my projects were working flawlessly until the June update and now the link to ArcGIS Online is more fickle and don't have the full functionality. Can you provide any remedy for this problem? Thanks!

image.png

0 Kudos
EmilyOlack
New Contributor II

So that was the exact same issue I was having, where the toggle button just would not stay set to "On" and kept flipping back to "Off". Solution that my team got to work: just delete that map and make it anew, basically, by re-adding the same layers (which in this update, are far easier to navigate to at least!). The map widgets made prior to the update just will not let that toggle turn on. 

0 Kudos
WilliamEymold
New Contributor

Ok cool that was going to be my worst case scenario attempt so I'll try that this weekend and respond if it's successful. Thanks!

0 Kudos
WilliamEymold
New Contributor

Hey @EmilyOlack, I've tried a few different things here but still no fix:

1. I created a new WebMap on ArcGIS Online from existing features in my Organization, changed the symbology, saved it as a WebMap, and then imported that map to Power BI. Same thing where the data come into Power BI with the correct formatting but I can't interact with the data and the Enable switch bounces back to OFF when clicked.
  2. I tried importing a single layer from ArcGIS Online directly to PowerBI but same result.
  3. I tried uploading a new shapefile to ArcGIS Online and saving it there (thinking maybe there's a new format/feature that gets added when the layer is saved) and then pulling to Power BI but still same Enable switch issue.

When your team recreated the maps, did you do so on ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Pro and pushed it to Online? Still trying to troubleshoot here so I appreciate your response.

0 Kudos
EmilyOlack
New Contributor II

@WilliamEymold Our maps were originally made in ArcGIS Pro, then pushed to Online and saved with a specific view setting (though not sure if that part mattered as much with the new update, actually).

We may have moved around which data field the data was placed in (on the Visualizations -> Add Data tab) within PowerBI, too? Cannot actually remember, but worth trying some variations there as you troubleshoot. So sorry yours still isn't working, and wish you luck!

0 Kudos
AdebMoustafa
New Contributor II

Hi,

try to add any of the field in location, feature information is enable as like below:

po.png

0 Kudos
AdebMoustafa
New Contributor II

Hi @NaZhang_Esri 

How can I sign in to ArcGIS on Power BI online?

Previously (before this update) when I published a project containing an ArcGIS online map from Power BI Desktop, I didn't need to log in ArcGIS  via Power BI Online, This issue appeared after this update.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
AdebMoustafa
New Contributor II

Hi @NaZhang_Esri 

I noticed that there is no issue when I open the Power BI link in Microsoft Edge, while the problem appears when I open the link in other browsers like Google Chrome or Firefox.

Do you have any explanation or solution for this problem so that I can open the link in any browser without issues?
Many thanks.
p3.pngp5.png

0 Kudos
DillionRoberts
New Contributor

I do see the information in the featured information panel now, but I just wanted to clarify, there's no way for it to populate inside the map?

0 Kudos
NaZhang_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @DillionRoberts,

Thanks for your question! I'm glad it works now. To make the map clean, the popups from ArcGIS layers are displayed in the Feature information side panel and the popups from Power BI data layer only appears when hovering on the Power BI features if you toggle on Tooltips. 

Please see more information here:

Add the Feature information pane doc

Add Feature information to ArcGIS for Power BI

Using Tooltips and ArcGIS technology to deep dive information in Power BI

cc: @BradCase1