Location & symbology reset when slicer changes

04-28-2022 07:22 AM
DavidLeitson
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm having an issue with ArcGIS for PowerBI. If I interact with slicers on the report to change the census blocks shown on the map, the matching will switch from exact match to closest.
This causes an error in the coloring of the map where random certain geographies turn gray even though the value should not reflect gray.

To correct this issue, I have to reset the layer’s “location type” settings and the layer’s “symbology” settings.
From what I can tell, it is not possible to rest the “location type” or the “symbology” settings on the PowerBI server. So, end users on the server would not be able to correct this issue manually.

Also, the symbology resets entirely back to the default orange colors and the method selected defaults to natural break, even if I've selected equal interval.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@DavidLeitson - Hello there! My name is Anthony and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI visual. I was looking over this issue and I would like to help out if I can!

Would you be able to share your dataset and steps to reproduce this issue? I am unable to recreate the exact steps you are describing above. 

0 Kudos
DavidLeitson
New Contributor

Thank you Anthony! I've attached a fake example of the underlying data because the real data are confidential. Here are the following steps I take:

1. Upload data
  2. Convert GEOID to string
  3. Add ArcGIS for PowerBI to Report
  4. Add GEOID field to location
  5. Add reference layer -> ArcGIS Online -> Enter "MPD BGs_NESTED_NETs_CLIPPED"
  6. Drag UNIQUEID field to color -> click "Count Distinct"
  7. Layers -> GEOID -> Location Type -> Boundaries -> One Country -> United States ->  Block Groups -> Exact Match
  8. Layers -> MPD BGs_NESTED_NETs_CLIPPED -> Remove
  9. Then I add a slicer to the report, say "RACE"
  10. Then when I change the slicer the color of many of the geographies turn to gray. 
  11. Each time, to fix this, I have to reset location type and symbology settings.  

Does that make sense? 

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@DavidLeitson - Excellent! Thank you for the steps and the data. I will get back to you as soon as possible with my findings. 

0 Kudos
DavidLeitson
New Contributor

Any updates?

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Hi there @DavidLeitson . I had a look at this issue and I see what the issue is. 

By default, we take the top ten categories to classify data when using string values. As I look over this sample data, there are over 15,000 rows/counts in this dataset. 

AnthonyLatini_0-1653421668267.png

This was causing Power BI Desktop and Power BI Online to freeze and ultimately lock up. This was because Power BI was attempting to process the data. In this case, we are reaching the upper-limits of Power BI Desktop when using this amount of data. If I had to guess, the data is appearing as grey because the values are in the "others" categories. 

I messaged in the other thread about chatting on a call. Let's chat about this issue when we are on that call. 

Reference: Re: Error with custom reference layer - Esri Community

AnthonyLatini_1-1653421897878.png

0 Kudos