Labels not appearing in feature label for Power BI

02-20-2019 03:10 PM
StevenDoherty
New Contributor III

I've created a feature layer which includes boundaries and boundary labels which are visible when viewed in the map viewer with ArcGIS Online. However, when I access the layer in Power BI, the boundaries (and fill colours) are visible but the text labels are not. Any workaround or solutions?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Hello Steven, 

Thank you for reaching out. I am a Product Engineer for the ArcGIS Maps for Power BI application here at Esri, and I wanted to get in touch to respond.

When you have a moment, can you please provide the link to the feature layer so I can take a look at it on my end? I'd love to try and figure out a resolution for this issue! 

Thank you, 

Anthony

StevenDoherty
New Contributor III

Hi Anthony,

My apologies, I assumed I would have received an email if there was a reply to my post. Just as an update, I've upgraded my subscription as a creator as of today and although my content is still present, the data behind the content seems to have disappeared or is corrupted... ESRI Au and I are working through how to retrieve the data. I'll send you a link when the feature layers are operational again.

0 Kudos
StevenDoherty
New Contributor III

Hi Anthony,

The account is now working. What would you like me to send you? and, how?

0 Kudos
StevenDoherty
New Contributor III

Hi Anthony,

I've been able to get my account working. I've created feature layers which I edit in AGOL and when shared to Power BI have the incorrect boundary fills and are not displaying point labels. I've attached some screenshots from AGOl and Power BI which I hope better explains what it is I'm talking about.AGOL view of boundary layer note boundaries have no fill, red outline and 13pt, Bold point labelsSA2 Feature Layer as it appears in Power BI.

Point labels in AGOL.Point labels in Power BI

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Steven, 

Thank you for the information and screenshots. I am happy to hear that your account is up and running again! 

I think I see the issue that is happening with your data. In the current version of Maps for Power BI, labels are unfortunately not supported. However, it is possible to add additional data to the Tooltips field-well so that when you hover over a location on your map, you will see additional information regarding your data. This is only possible when in authoring mode. Any data added from ArcGIS will revert to the supported format in Maps for Power BI. 

Below are a few screenshots demonstrating the upload process from Maps for Office-->ArcGIS Online--->Maps for Power BI. You will notice that the labels disappear on my map as well. 

Additional resources (section - Tooltips): https://docstg.arcgis.com/en/maps-for-powerbi/design/add-data-to-the-map.htm

Please let me know if you have any other questions! 

-Anthony

Maps for Office - Reference Layer Shared with Labels
ArcGIS Online - Reference Layer Shared with LabelsMaps for Power BI - Adding Tooltips

0 Kudos
StevenDoherty
New Contributor III

Thanks Anthony, very much appreciated.

However, it seems silly to me that you need to subscribe to AGOl to create the feature layer for Power BI and having created the layer as you would like it are unable to display it in Power BI. Is there a way or referring this as an issue to be addressed?

Also, the area fill error is a major concern, is there a workaround for that?

0 Kudos
StevenDoherty
New Contributor III

Hi Anthony,

I thought I would let you know that the fill error indicated above is not an issue. It appears that I just didn't apply the "no fill" attribute correctly. 

Sorry, another question for you, how long does it take for an update to a layer to filter through to the ArcGIS Reference Layer library?

0 Kudos
MichaelHuber
New Contributor III

Hi Anthony,

Do you know if you have any plans to add support for labels with ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI? We are already utilizing point data on the map, so we don't want to add more redundant points whose purpose is only for labeling data (as it will take away from the thematic mapping and make our data less clear).  We would like the ability to label polygons (ie. the Alberta Township System grid). Adding the grid doesn't do us much good if we cant label it, and a labeled grid would go a long way in making our reference layers much more useful in BI.

Thanks

MarkJTurnbull
New Contributor III

Hi Anthony

I also have a client who is using a hosted feature layer (polygons) from his AGOL account in ArcGIS for Power BI, where he wants to label the feature layer.

Just wondering if there are any plans to support labels on feature layers in the future and if so, when could we expect it?

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos