Issues with Canadian Boundary Mapping

Jump to solution
08-16-2017 02:53 PM
WesleyPhillips
New Contributor

Hi I really love this mapping tool and people in my organization are getting very excited about it!

The issue I have had recently is that some areas are now "Double Mapping" on my maps. This was not happening about a month ago, and it is now happening on both the web and in the desktop. I have included an example scenario for Census Subdivisions below. 

Cheers,

Wes

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Wes - thanks for your feedback and I'm glad you're (mostly) enjoying the visual! 

I think I know what's going on and I believe we have a fix on the way. When we detect that you're trying to map boundaries (like you are in the video above), we route the request to our geoenrichment services to look up the polygons. When we do so, we make use of the 'fuzzy search' option which allows us to have a higher match rate. For example, your data doesn't have to be perfect - for both "Canada" and "Cnaada" we would understand you're trying to get boundaries for Canada and we'd return the geometry for Canada. However this becomes a problem when you're matching based on areas with defined numeric values. If you're looking for ZIP code 92373, you don't want fuzzy search in that case - you want an exact match. 

And that's exactly what we're providing in the next update for our visual. In the coming weeks you'll notice a new option in the 'Location types' pane that allows you to force our visual to make an exact match. I believe this will fix the issue you are experiencing in the video above. Keep an eye out for it and let us know how it works for you once it rolls out! 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Wes - thanks for your feedback and I'm glad you're (mostly) enjoying the visual! 

I think I know what's going on and I believe we have a fix on the way. When we detect that you're trying to map boundaries (like you are in the video above), we route the request to our geoenrichment services to look up the polygons. When we do so, we make use of the 'fuzzy search' option which allows us to have a higher match rate. For example, your data doesn't have to be perfect - for both "Canada" and "Cnaada" we would understand you're trying to get boundaries for Canada and we'd return the geometry for Canada. However this becomes a problem when you're matching based on areas with defined numeric values. If you're looking for ZIP code 92373, you don't want fuzzy search in that case - you want an exact match. 

And that's exactly what we're providing in the next update for our visual. In the coming weeks you'll notice a new option in the 'Location types' pane that allows you to force our visual to make an exact match. I believe this will fix the issue you are experiencing in the video above. Keep an eye out for it and let us know how it works for you once it rolls out! 

WesleyPhillips
New Contributor

Thanks Scott, 

I see the option now, and it fixed the issue perfectly!

Cheers,

Wes