Issues to access ArcGIS for PowerBI with ArcGIS Enterprise

03-09-2021 01:26 AM
GISAdministrator8
New Contributor

Hi, We are experiencing an issue when loging into ArcGIS for PowerBI with ArcGIS Enterprise. Once logged in with an ArcGIS Enterprise Administrator account into ArcGIS for Power BI we get the following message: "ArcGIS for PowerBI is in viewer mode. To edit this report, sign in to an ArcGIS account with a Creator user type or higher".

Notes:

• This means we cannot access any of the Enterprise layers, change basemaps, add infographics, etc.
  • That also happens when logging in to PowerBI in the web.
  • It occurs when logged in as a Creator Data Editor and Administrator.
  • We work with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1. which should already be compatible with PowerBI

Can this be resolved through the ArcGIS Enterprise configuration?  I was checking in this page, but I don't know where to find those configurations in ArcGIS Enterprise

Does anyone know how it could be sorted? Many thanks in advance

Kind regards

Llorens Guasp, GIS Analyst

12 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Could you try to sign into he report with a Creator Level user instead of an admin??

If this persists, I think your next step will be to log a case with technical support.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
AdamSmith
New Contributor II

Hi

I have exactly the same issue - did you find a resolution that you could share?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@AdamSmith Are you using Enterprise 10.7.1? 

0 Kudos
cle444
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi there,

I wonder if this was resolved? We have the exact same problem when trying to access Enterprise 10.9. The message 'ArcGIS for Power BI is in viewer mode' however the account is a creator user type. No issues for AGOL but just for Enterprise.

cle444_0-1632401163879.png

Help, please...

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@cle444 The next version of the visual will support 10.9+. It was scheduled to release on the 29th but may be delayed on the Microsoft side. We should know more in the next 2 days if they can still get it out for the 29th or if it will delay to October 6th. 

We've been very anxious to get this out to our customers!

cle444
by
Occasional Contributor

@Anonymous User Thanks  for the heads up. Are you saying the 'viewer mode' when accessing Enterprise is a known issue and confirmed addressed in the next release? What confuses me is the other day I went thru this issue with local ESRI technical support and it actually worked. Nothing has changed since then, same software, same data, same configuration and I am the only administrator on Enterprise. It makes me wonder if it is an authorisation issue caused by network or JavaScript in ArcGIS for PowerBI module.

Would be great if anyone can share a bit of insight about this particular issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Hello there! My name is Anthony and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI visual.

That is correct! In the next patch (which should be out soon as @Anonymous User  mentioned), you will no longer see the error when signing into the visual using Enterprise 10.9+.

To give some context, there was a gap between the release of our new/updated visual and the release of Enterprise 10.9. This is why there is an odd error when signing in; it incorrectly states that you are in viewer mode even when you are logged into a creator-type account. 

FredrikAndersson9568
New Contributor

Hi! We use pbi (report server) jan 2021 and arcgis portal 10.8.1.  I get the same problem...how can I fix this?  Do i need to have a later version of pbi or can I download a newer version of ESRI ArcGIS Maps visual? Which version of arcgis portal would work with my current pbi version?

0 Kudos
FredrikAndersson9568
New Contributor

Hi @AnthonyLatini! We use pbi (report server) jan 2021 and arcgis portal 10.8.1.  I get the same problem...how can I fix this? 

0 Kudos