Is it possible to edit data for a related table from a form filled out in PowerApps?

01-16-2020 09:39 AM
RPGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to edit attributes for a related table that is created from a feature using the link to create the related table that will then open a power apps form. The user then fills out the form, which will also fill out the related tables attributes. I have yet to test this but I was thinking that since both can connect to a SQL database, the SQL database could then act as the main database for both.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Robert 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey There Robert,

Are you talking about Microsoft's Power Apps application as it relates to PowerBI or the ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI Visual?

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

Hey Jon,

I was simply talking about being able to edit data in either a related table or the attributes of a feature class through a PowerApps form. I noticed in PowerApps that there is the ability to connect to a data source through a SQL server and since most GIS Enterprise Databases are also on SQL servers, I thought there might be a way to connect to the data in a SQL server that updates the attribute data of a feature class when the form is updated. I was asking if anyone knew of a similar set up or something akin to it.

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Robert,

"That is an interesting question... You are able to connect to the Geodatabase as you would to any SQL server db. Updates and edits to the main table will work, but there will likely be problems updating the related items. ArcGIS clients are aware of the relationships because they know to query the geodatabase repository for relationship classes, etc.  It's built into the client code.  The PowerApps app isn't aware that the geodatabase repository exists so it will only update the main table.
Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

Hello Jon,

I figured that may be the case. The reason I am looking into this as a solution is that with a standalone table is that I can update the attributes using PowerApps and, as long as there is a unique ID created, I believe it is theoretically possible to update the table using PowerApps and then using a python script to update a feature class or tie the table in as a related record.

The other reason is, compared to Survey123, rather than having to rely on a separate service to have to connect to, I can use PowerApps to keep the table fields and structure as is and have it update using the PowerApps form. The flexibility and control that comes with PowerApps is the other reason I have been looking into this.

0 Kudos
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Robert,

This may be a viable solution, at least one worth to test. However, I believe that the related tables will not update without some kind of extension (via a python script as you mentioned)

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
RPGIS
by

Hello Jon,

I have yet to test this myself, but I am hoping to get the chance to eventually do so because I am the kind of person who would rather have more options on hand rather than a select few. If I can incorporate other solutions or create my own using what I already have access to then I would prefer that route. I will share with you what I find when given the chance.

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Excellent, many thanks Robert.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos