Error "The Provided Data failed to generate a layer on the map"

Jump to solution
09-27-2021 03:23 PM
jbintn
by
New Contributor II

I have a Power BI report that hasn't changed, but today it started not showing any points on the map that were previously showing. I have gotten an error message, "The Provided Data failed to generate a layer on the map," but it doesn't always show up. I do see a spinning circle in the upper right-hand corner of the map.  That lat and long are populated on the data.

This is happening in both the desktop and Power BI Service. Is there a known issue I'm missing?

error.png

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jbintn
by
New Contributor II

I've resolved the issue, I can easily reproduce it, and I know what's breaking it, but I don't know the why.

I downloaded my report from the Power BI service and opened it in Power BI Desktop. I deleted the ArcGIS component, and added it back. I dropped in my lat & long, and the points appeared on my map as expected. I began adding in my tooltip fields and everything worked, right up until I added a date field and changed it from the date hierarchy (Year, Quarted, Month, Day) to the actual date. Once I changed it to the actual date, I got the error message "The Provided Data failed to generate a layer on the map." Switching it back to the hierarchy makes it work again.

My workaround was to create a new column using the DAX CONVERT function and converting the date to a string. That at least allowed me to add the fields back to my tooltips. If the date field in the tooltip is formatted like the contract_hierarchy.png below, it generates the map. If it's formatted to just the date like contract_date.png, it breaks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jbintn
by
New Contributor II

I've resolved the issue, I can easily reproduce it, and I know what's breaking it, but I don't know the why.

I downloaded my report from the Power BI service and opened it in Power BI Desktop. I deleted the ArcGIS component, and added it back. I dropped in my lat & long, and the points appeared on my map as expected. I began adding in my tooltip fields and everything worked, right up until I added a date field and changed it from the date hierarchy (Year, Quarted, Month, Day) to the actual date. Once I changed it to the actual date, I got the error message "The Provided Data failed to generate a layer on the map." Switching it back to the hierarchy makes it work again.

My workaround was to create a new column using the DAX CONVERT function and converting the date to a string. That at least allowed me to add the fields back to my tooltips. If the date field in the tooltip is formatted like the contract_hierarchy.png below, it generates the map. If it's formatted to just the date like contract_date.png, it breaks.

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@jbintn - Hello there! My name is Anthony and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI visual. I was looking over this and I am glad you got this to work properly! 

Would it be possible to share the dataset so I can reproduce this on my end? I want to see if there is something happening behind the scenes that had caused this to fail originally. There shouldn't be any issues adding a data to the Tooltips field-well in the map, but if there is, I would love to fix it! 

0 Kudos
jbintn
by
New Contributor II

@AnthonyLatini It won't let me attach a pbix file, but here's source CSV. It's two records, both with minimal, anonymous data.

Add the lat & long. Add the Contract Start to the tooltip. Add Contract End to the tooltips, and change it from a date hierarchy to just the date. It will generate the error on the map.

Now, to make it work. Clear the error, remove the Contract End from the tooltip. Then add a contract end date in the source row in that has no contract end date. Refresh, and now add the tooltip, and change it from a hierarchy to a date. It will work.

Since it works with a date but fails without, it appears it doesn't like a null/blank value.

I'm happy to send the .pbix file to you if there's a place I can get it to you.

AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Thanks @jbintn ! You should be able to send me a direct message here in the community. If that doesn't work, shoot over an email to me: alatini@esri.com 

Until then, I will try using the CSV data you provided. 

0 Kudos
LuizaConstantino
New Contributor

Hi Anthony

I have the same problem, but it doesn't use any data field. Some days it works, but other days it returns the same message

LuizaConstantino_0-1633381923080.png

0 Kudos
AllisonClark
New Contributor II

I am getting the same error, but I hadn't changed anything or involved a date field. The same map in Power BI that could display a layer last week, now generates "provided data failed to generate a layer on the map" error every time I try to change a layer on an existing map, or create a new map.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbintn
by
New Contributor II

I just realized that I could probably zip the file and upload that. 🙂

Here's the zipped version of the pbix file.

0 Kudos
vasilikikourgiozou
New Contributor

Also have the same problem but no date information in my map. It used to work fine earlier and now it just doesn't.

0 Kudos