08-27-2018 02:23 PM
TysonTaylor
New Contributor III

can you connect power BI to Portal for ArcGIS hosted on premise

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS Maps for Power BI now supports connecting to ArcGIS Enterprise.

ArcGIS Maps for Microsoft Power BI – March 2020.1 Release 

View solution in original post

16 Replies
ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Tyson - at this time no, this map visual does not support ArcGIS Enterprise / connections to Portal for ArcGIS. It's a hot topic of discussion here at Esri, though, and we're working through some technical challenges to see if it's possible to provide ArcGIS Enterprise support. 

One of the technical challenges is supporting secure connections from Power BI back to ArcGIS Enterprise. The underlying technology (chromium) that Power BI provides for visuals doesn't support all authentication types. It would be great if you (and anyone else requesting ArcGIS Enterprise support) could email me information about how you authenticate to ArcGIS Enterprise. This would help us understand if what we can build will actually work for those of you who want this feature. You can reach me at  s b a l l @ e s r i . c o m - thanks!

TysonTaylor
New Contributor III

Scott,

Thank you for the update.

Fyi: We are authenticating into our on-premise portals via Enterprise logins via SAML and using Azure AD as the identity provider. “ Which is working very well”.

ScottBall
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Tyson Taylor - another follow-up question regarding your request: at your company do you use the out-of-the-box version of Power BI that is based in the cloud ("Power BI service"), or do you use the on-prem version ("Power BI Report Server")? 

0 Kudos
ZaraCarman
New Contributor II

Hi, has there been any progression with this feature?

For our portal we have manual accounts created, no auto logins.

And we use both versions of Power BI depending on the business use case, the average user would just use the cloud version while advanced users utilise the on prem version.

0 Kudos
TysonTaylor
New Contributor III

Scott,

We I believe are using the on-prem version power BI report server. 

0 Kudos
WilliamMayr
New Contributor II

We are also interested in this feature. We're using the Power BI service and ArcGIS Enterprise on Azure VMs, authenticating with Azure AD.

0 Kudos
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS Maps for Power BI now supports connecting to ArcGIS Enterprise.

ArcGIS Maps for Microsoft Power BI – March 2020.1 Release 

TysonTaylor
New Contributor III

Excellent thank you.

BattulgaGantulga
New Contributor

Hi, My PowerBI Desktop is successfully connected in Portal for ArcGIS 10.7.1 using ArcGIS Account. But I Can't sign in upgraded Portal for ArcGIS 10.8.1. Please help answer this question

0 Kudos