ArcGIS Licensing for PowerBI

Jump to solution
04-17-2019 09:30 AM
AmberVick
New Contributor

This is involving licensing for ArcGIS Maps in PowerBI:

1. Will I need ArcGIS Plus to retrieve basemap info/layers into PowerBI that I have create and shared from ArcGIS online?

2. If I create data in ArcGIS online to later use in PowerBI, will my ArcGIS license (licensed as ArcGIS Desktop) need to be basic, standard, or advanced?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshJones2
New Contributor III

Hi Amber,

Running through your questions one by one:

1. Will I need ArcGIS Plus to retrieve basemap info/layers into PowerBI that I have create and shared from ArcGIS online?

This needs to be a bit of a nuanced answer, since you asked about both basemaps and layers.

Regarding base maps, you will need to sign in to your ArcGIS Online organization in Maps for Power BI in order to view organizational base maps. If signed in to an ArcGIS Online account, you will also get access to all "Plus Subscription" features automatically including the additional "core" base maps that would normally come with that type of subscription.

If you have created and shared Feature services publicly using ArcGIS Online, then you can consume those layers as a reference layer directly in Maps for Power BI without signing in at all as long as they are feature services with a single layer. If you have published and shared them privately within your ArcGIS Online organization, then you can sign in to Maps for Power BI and consume the layers. In this case, any subsequent report consumer would also need to sign into an organizational account which has permissions to view the private service, unless it is shared publicly.

2. If I create data in ArcGIS online to later use in PowerBI, will my ArcGIS license (licensed as ArcGIS Desktop) need to be basic, standard, or advanced?

Your ArcGIS Desktop license is unrelated to ArcGIS Maps for Power BI. As long as you can publish your Feature service to ArcGIS Online and sign in to an ArcGIS Online account that has permission to view that service, you can consume it from ArcGIS Maps for Power BI.

There is no current connection between ArcGIS Desktop (or Pro) and Power BI. Please let me know if I missed the intent of this question!

Thanks,

Josh Jones

Lead Product Engineer, Microsoft Integration, Esri

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JoshJones2
New Contributor III

Hi Amber,

Running through your questions one by one:

This needs to be a bit of a nuanced answer, since you asked about both basemaps and layers.

Regarding base maps, you will need to sign in to your ArcGIS Online organization in Maps for Power BI in order to view organizational base maps. If signed in to an ArcGIS Online account, you will also get access to all "Plus Subscription" features automatically including the additional "core" base maps that would normally come with that type of subscription.

If you have created and shared Feature services publicly using ArcGIS Online, then you can consume those layers as a reference layer directly in Maps for Power BI without signing in at all as long as they are feature services with a single layer. If you have published and shared them privately within your ArcGIS Online organization, then you can sign in to Maps for Power BI and consume the layers. In this case, any subsequent report consumer would also need to sign into an organizational account which has permissions to view the private service, unless it is shared publicly.

Your ArcGIS Desktop license is unrelated to ArcGIS Maps for Power BI. As long as you can publish your Feature service to ArcGIS Online and sign in to an ArcGIS Online account that has permission to view that service, you can consume it from ArcGIS Maps for Power BI.

There is no current connection between ArcGIS Desktop (or Pro) and Power BI. Please let me know if I missed the intent of this question!

Thanks,

Josh Jones

Lead Product Engineer, Microsoft Integration, Esri

AmberVick
New Contributor

Mr. Jones, Thank you so much for your reply! This is exactly what I needed!