ArcGIS for Power BI - Removing All Pop-ups

09-29-2021 09:53 AM
RezaSardari
New Contributor II

Hi @AnthonyLatini  @Anonymous User ,

We added a GIS layer in ArcGIS for Power BI and removed All the pop-ups in the ArcGIS Online account. However, Power BI still shows pop-ups. Is there any setting to remove GIS pop-ups in Power BI?

GIS Pop-ups in Power BI:

RezaSardari_0-1632934211705.png

I checked and removed all pop-ups in ArcGIS Online map:

RezaSardari_1-1632934323350.png

Thanks,

Tags (3)
7 Replies
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@RezaSardari - Hello there! 

I had a chance to look at this issue and I cannot reproduce it on my end. I tested it both in ArcGIS Online's classic map viewer as well as the new map viewer and they yielded the same results. 

In the screenshot you provided, it looks like you are clicking on a polygon. Is that part of the layer from ArcGIS Online or from the dataset? 

As a test, head to the Table of Contents, and hide all of the layers on the map except for the one from ArcGIS Online. Then, attempt to click on the feature and see if the pop-up appears. 

As a note, any changes that occur in ArcGIS Online are not automatically pushed to the map in Power BI. For example, if you disable pop-ups in the ArcGIS Online map and then save it, you will need to remove the layer from the map in Power BI and then add it back again to see the changes. 

Let me know what you find out! 

RezaSardari
New Contributor II

Thanks @AnthonyLatini . After removing All layers, still GIS map in power BI showed empty pop-ups. It is happening after updating & upgrading the software. 

RezaSardari_0-1633100253357.png

Also, all pop-ups are removed and the map is added in new Power BI.

--> Layer in ArcGIS Online with removed pop-ups

RezaSardari_1-1633100420085.png

After adding this map in Power BI, it comes with Pop-ups that we can not turn it off.

RezaSardari_2-1633100580580.png

Map: https://arcg.is/0DfP0z

Layer: https://planogis.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=b2b3a202da7440bda1b66f9c14137530

Thanks,

Reza

Sr. Planner @ Plano

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I see the layer is listed as a Feature Collection and not a Feature Service. Have you tried using it as a service, disabling the pop ups, and adding it to the map in Power BI?

0 Kudos
RezaSardari
New Contributor II

Thanks @Anonymous User . What is the best way\process to publish it as "Feature Class" without using ArcGIS Server? The current layer is uploaded on the Mapviewer "Add layer from file" by uploading the shapefile.

Thanks,

Reza

0 Kudos
LiamCurrie
New Contributor

@RezaSardari @Anonymous User @AnthonyLatini 
I'm having the same issue. I can turn off pop-ups in the feature layer but when I interact in PBI and hover over a feature I get a generic popup with all of the record's attributes. It also gives me a dock option which just locks the window in the middle of my visual and doesn't give me any ability to edit or move it at all. This completely breaks the functionality of this report.

Another weird issue is that because select (with joined layer) is separate but not mutually exclusive to selecting the base layer, you can end up with two things being visually "selected" on the map by clicking on one with the layer join selection and another automatically selecting because the mouse hovered over it for a few seconds. I'm pretty sure this is the problem that @RezaSardari was having as well: his joined layer wasn't producing the pop-up, it's the default PBI add-in doing that.

You can see this in the attached images. The first is me selecting a polygon from the hosted layer with the pop-ups turned off. Works as expected. The next image is where I hovered over another polygon and the pop-up appeared and cannot be removed. Note that even though the second polygon is highlighted on the map it is not actually selected and has no impact on my report. Is there a way to turn this off in the PBI addon?

AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@LiamCurrie - Good afternoon! There can be some odd interactions with the Power BI Data layer and a reference layer on the map (whether it be through a Join layer process or just adding it on the map and interacting with it). There have been other instances where pop-ups can be distracting on a report page.

At the moment, we cannot disable the pop-ups on a Power BI data layer. However, we are looking into this feature and exploring ways to enhance it; customization or allowing it to be turned off completely. 

If you have other ideas of what you'd like to see added, feel free to post them here: 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-for-power-bi-ideas/idb-p/arcgis-for-power-bi-ideas

LucianoBoas
New Contributor

Hi there! This feature will be much appreciated! We need the option to turn the pop-ups off when using Power BI. Thank you!