ArcGIS Account Requires Add-on license - Power BI

Jump to solution
03-29-2021 09:37 AM
iCurland
New Contributor II

Hello,

Current Status: Resolved as of 6/25/2021

Error I receive: Your ArcGIS account requires an add on license and associated privileges to use ArcGIS for power bi.

Problem: I am trying to log into the ArcGIS power BI add-on with an enterprise account. Reading from the documentation, there is no add-on that needs to be added because the Power BI feature should be automatically included. Has anyone had any luck  getting this to work or experienced the same problem? I have a creator license so that should not be the problem.

Update 5/5/2021: Our Administrator has been in communications with our Representative about this licensing problem. Apparently ESRI is "behind" in providing these licenses to customers with an Enterprise environment.  We still don't have an ETA for when the licenses will be available for the administrator to disperse to each user. So as far as ESRI's documentation on the Power BI license availability , will technically yes ESRI has them ,but when you will actually have access to them is completely different. 

Update 6/25/2021: Our Administrator said that the Power BI add-on license has been added to the MyESRI Org Portal last Wednesday and he recently added the license to my account. I was finally able to log into PowerBI and the the Enterprise options of the ESRI Map feature. After communicating with our regional manager they were able to provide us these "Free" licenses after 2.5 months.

Note: The Power BI server is on premise, and our enterprise can be accessed online. We have Enterprise version 10.8.1 and are using IWA authentication.

ArcGIS / Power BI documentation: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/power-bi/get-started/arcgis-requirements.htm

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Depending on what version of ArcGIS Enterprise you are using, you may need to request the Power BI license from Customer Service (it is free now).

What type of authentication (SAML, Built-In, IWA, etc.) are you using for your ArcGIS Enterprise?

--- George T.

View solution in original post

AndresEcheverri
Occasional Contributor

Hi @George_Thompson 

We have the same problem. After adding some domains within the allowing origins section in ArcGIS Enterprise (10.8.1), we are now able to get the sign-in page in Power BI Online (we use SAML), but when hitting the button to authenticate we got a message saying Your ArcGIS account requires an add on license and associated privileges to use ArcGIS for Power BI.

When you said request the Power BI license from Customer Service, that means creating a support case with ESRI and they would be able to provide a license to install the Add on license within our ArcGIS Enterprise deployment?.

Thanks,

Andres

View solution in original post

7 Replies
George_Thompson

Depending on what version of ArcGIS Enterprise you are using, you may need to request the Power BI license from Customer Service (it is free now).

What type of authentication (SAML, Built-In, IWA, etc.) are you using for your ArcGIS Enterprise?

--- George T.
iCurland
New Contributor II

We have Enterprise version 10.8.1 and are using IWA.

0 Kudos
AndresEcheverri
Occasional Contributor

Hi @iCurland 

Were you be able to install the Add on license within your Portal?. Is it working for you?

Thanks,

Andres

0 Kudos
AndresEcheverri
Occasional Contributor

Hi @George_Thompson 

We have the same problem. After adding some domains within the allowing origins section in ArcGIS Enterprise (10.8.1), we are now able to get the sign-in page in Power BI Online (we use SAML), but when hitting the button to authenticate we got a message saying Your ArcGIS account requires an add on license and associated privileges to use ArcGIS for Power BI.

When you said request the Power BI license from Customer Service, that means creating a support case with ESRI and they would be able to provide a license to install the Add on license within our ArcGIS Enterprise deployment?.

Thanks,

Andres

George_Thompson

Yes, you would need to contact your Customer Support Rep or local distributor (if outside the US).

You can also reach out to your Esri account manager as a starting point.

--- George T.
iCurland
New Contributor II

We have yet to hear an update back from ESRI on this matter, we sent a ticket in the middle of March and they had told our ESRI Administrator that there was an update occurring at the end of the month of March. They told him that "After further research into this it seems we are coming out with an update where the licensing will be released for this come end of March". This morning our Administrator has followed up with them,  but we have yet to hear from them.

I will keep you updated on what ESRI suggest/works to get the enterprise piece working, please let me know if you are able to get it worked out on your end.

Thanks,

TunaUnsal
New Contributor III

Hi George,

Why do you think it s taking months for ESRI to provide this add-on license? We have been a customer for more than a decade and I do not remember a case which had been resolved more than a few days time. Is it normal for this Power BI case or should I push my local distributor to get it resolved asap. It has been a month now since we made the request?

Thanks,

Tuna

0 Kudos