ArcArcGIS Maps not showing on desktop.  Same pbix file shows fine on laptop.

Jump to solution
02-25-2019 01:24 PM
StuartNewstead
New Contributor

My ArcGIS Maps for Power BI have stopped displaying on my desktop.  It looks like they are hanging.  The ESRI watermark is there for each map.  The three vertical yellow bars are moving up and down, but the Power BI wheel stops and then disappears, as if it had finished.  I can click on ... and then "Show data" and see the data.  I can't get anywhere when I click on ... and "Edit"

When I open the same pbix files on my laptop (on same LAN), all is fine.

The datasets aren't massive (eg postcode sector data for England)

This started to happen a week or so ago.  In the middle of last week, it seemed to fix itself.  Now it's gone again.

Any suggestions as to what is happening on my desktop and how to stop it from happening?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlagiriVenkatachal
Esri Contributor

Hello Stuart,

This is Alagiri. I work on the Maps for Power BI team. Could you please let me know if you are able to create a new report with the Esri visual? I assume you are using Microsoft Power BI Desktop to open the .pbix files on the problem m/c. Did you recently update or install a newer version of Power BI Desktop?

If you are also not able to author a new report or pbix with an Esri visual, can you follow the below doc? At the bottom, there are instructions on clearing your local storage in Power BI Desktop. Please try that and let us know if it resolves the issue.

Thanks,

Alagiri

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AlagiriVenkatachal
Esri Contributor

Hello Stuart,

This is Alagiri. I work on the Maps for Power BI team. Could you please let me know if you are able to create a new report with the Esri visual? I assume you are using Microsoft Power BI Desktop to open the .pbix files on the problem m/c. Did you recently update or install a newer version of Power BI Desktop?

If you are also not able to author a new report or pbix with an Esri visual, can you follow the below doc? At the bottom, there are instructions on clearing your local storage in Power BI Desktop. Please try that and let us know if it resolves the issue.

Thanks,

Alagiri

JoshJones2
New Contributor III

Here's the doc Alagiri's referring to:

Clear browser local storage—ArcGIS Maps for Power BI | ArcGIS 

StuartNewstead
New Contributor

Many thanks Josh & Alagiri

Happy days are here again

The fix worked - clearing out the browser local storage (deleting the CEF

folder in the Power BI Desktop Store App folder. I can now see maps again

on my desktop.

For completeness, answering Alagiri's earlier questions: I'm using

February 2019 version on both desktop and laptop. When I created a new map

on desktop this afternoon, it created but didn't display. I saved the

pbix. When I opened it on my laptop, I could display the map.

Many thanks for your prompt and accurate advice.

Thanks

Stuart

SeanWalsh
New Contributor

I also can't view anything when i add the ArcGIS Maps for PowerBI Visualization.  I tried using the recommended fix but there was no CEF folder.  I deleted the other two but it's still shows the ESRI watermark and the account that I"m logged into.  

0 Kudos