Am I allowed to create my own custom Power BI component showing an ArcGIS map?

Jump to solution
09-20-2021 01:57 AM
ae
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, 

The organization I work for need mapping functionality in Power BI that is not available in the official ArcGIS Power BI visual. I see that it is possible to create your own components for Power BI, but these must be uploaded to the Power BI Appsource platform, and possibly certified there. 

Am I allowed to create a custom Power BI visual using ArcGIS, or is this in conflict with end-user agreements? 

Many thanks, 

A

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, you can create your own mapping visual with ArcGIS and make it available in the Power BI marketplace. You may also be able to create the custom visual for your employer and just deploy it on your own tenant as a custom visual.

If there's something you need that we are not doing, feel free to ask for it and we can look to include it in a future release. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can definitely create your own applications using ArcGIS Platform, and integrating them with Power BI. On the Microsoft side you'll have to explore if creating a custom visual or a power app is best for you.

https://developers.arcgis.com/

If there is functionality that you need and its missing from the visual, please let us know and we can consider it in a future release. There are also some workflows that help support some interesting options within Power BI, which may help. 

Eg. in version 2 of the product due out September 29th, you can load in data with geometry. So Polygon and Line data would now be supported to add into Power BI and map with the visual. 

0 Kudos
ae
by

Many thanks for your reply. Does this mean that I am allowed to develop my own Power BI visual using ArcGIS API for javascript, and publish this to the Power BI marketplace? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, you can create your own mapping visual with ArcGIS and make it available in the Power BI marketplace. You may also be able to create the custom visual for your employer and just deploy it on your own tenant as a custom visual.

If there's something you need that we are not doing, feel free to ask for it and we can look to include it in a future release. 

ae
by

Thank you very much for your prompt reply Andrew! That's good to know!

In our case, we would like to enable use of MapImageLayers in the visual, and make it possible to: 

- Select a record by clicking on the map (using identify operation in the background), causing the other visuals to update accordingly (using a join across the datasets). 

- Zoom to a feature when the corresponding record is selected in other visuals such as a table. 

By supporting MapImageLayers it is possible to show lots of data simultaneously, reuse all of our existing mapservices, and our symbology. Not sure yet if I will manage to build this kind of solution, but I want to give it a try. 

0 Kudos