Adding Polygon Data to ArcGIS for Power BI map from Oracle Spatial

06-09-2021 11:57 AM
MikeMacRae
Occasional Contributor III

I am working in Power BI Desktop. I have connected to our Oracle Spatial database as my Data Source. In my Oracle DB, we have some polygon feature classes. I want to add one of those feature classes to an 'ArcGIS for Power BI' map. To do this, one must drag a field from the feature class into the 'Location' field under the 'Visualizations' panel or the Lat/Long fields (for point data). Working with my polygon data, I don't have any fields to add, that store spatial information so I tried dragging the 'Geometry' field over.

MikeMacRae_1-1623264711245.png

My data does not populate. I tried updating the accuracy of the data using the options in the yellow banner at the bottom of the map (see image above), but that doesn't seem to do anything.

So, my question is, how can I add polygon data to a map from a data source in Power BI for Desktop.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey there Mike, can you comment on what type of polygon geography you're using? Is this standard geometry (Zip codes, States, City boundaries?)

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
MikeMacRae
Occasional Contributor III

It is not. It is polygons of land rights. Is ArcGIS for Power BI so restrictive, it can only handle that kind of "standard" data?

0 Kudos
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

At this time, the visual is limited to standard geography. However, you may be able to add the land rights polygons to ArcGIS Online and use them as reference layers. There may even be interplay possible if you choose to join that data back to the data in PowerBI.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos